Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tattoo on my lower calf/ankle after THR
vikesfan11 posted:
I had a tattoo done (small, about 2 x 2 inches) two days ago. I also have a total hip replacement on the left which is over 5 years old due to congenital hip dysplasia as a child. I am 45 years old. Well, I got to thinking - of course - after the tattoo was done if this was safe or if there is any risk of infection? This is my first tat and I do love it and it shows no sign of infection, plus I went to a professional and very clean shop to have it done. I have just recently moved across the country so I don't yet have a new orthopedic surgeon established . . . does anyone have any thoughts? I feel sort of stupid for asking, but I am a worry wart!!

_swank_ responded:
Yes, there is always a risk of infection when getting a tattoo.

vikesfan11 replied to _swank_'s response:
So I'm thinking of going to the doctor to get on prophylactic antiobiotics . . . but at the same time, I don't know. I don't really know if they would even give me antibiotics considering the tattoo is healing wonderfully, absolutely no redness and no swelling or anything. (I'm a relatively quick healer.) Plus, I don't have a regular orthopod yet in my new community so that means I would have to go to urgent care??

_swank_ replied to vikesfan11's response:
Usually you want to do the anitbiotics ahead of time. At least that's the case with dental work and such. You might want to give the original doctor a call. Even if you live in a different state they can probably answer your question. My guess is it's too late now.

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
Your colleagues below are on the right track. Anything "invasive" can create a risk of infection and there are some procedures that we feel really strongly about as it pertains to prophylactic (given before the procedure) antibiotics. The example of dental procedures is a good one. I do not have a formal policy in my practice for tatoos but I am sure that if a tatoo site got infected it could theoretically "seed" the prosthesis. If the tattoo has healed and is free of infection then you are likely not at risk.

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center