Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Hip replacement loose??
jessmo803 posted:
I had my hip replaced in June of 1999. Recently, I have been experiencing severe pain. It's a pins and needles type feeling on the outer thigh slightly above my knee. The pain comes and goes, but usually hurts the most when I'm going up steps. Since my replacement is getting kind of old, I'm worried that it might slip or break. I haven't been to see my orthopedic surgeon since a year after I had the replacement, as I don't have medical insurance. My job requires me to be on my feet for 8 hours or more. I am 29 years old. If anyone has any tips or anything that can help me, please let me know.
_swank_ responded:
The best thing to do is find the cause of the pain. It may or may not even be related to your hip. Since you're on your feet a lot it may be as simple as getting a good pair of shoes.
B58J63; responded:
I don't know if this will help, but I had a loose stem after a hip replacement and my symptoms were very different from yours. It occurred after I walked for a distance, and the worst pain happened when walking downhill. It was a very strong, gripping pain down the front of my thigh. When this happened, it was hard to take another step for a second or so. The pain going up or down stairs was minor or not at all.

The doctor did an xray first and suspected the loosening by what he saw in that. Next was a bone scan, but it was inconclusive, so my doctor ordered several other tests to rule out anything else before he went in for a revision. All the tests and of course the revision would be expensive without insurance. The revision took care of my problem.

This website gave me some good information when I was wondering what was going on :

From what I experienced, you might have something else causing your symptoms.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 75 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center