Skip to content
Lack of appetite due to bad mouth taste.
Miriam945 posted:
My 73 year old mother just underwent knee replacement two weeks ago. She has lost her appetite due to a bad, salty taste in her mouth, that makes her nauseous and makes the food repugnant. When discussed with surgeon he downplayed the symptoms as nothing more than "nerves". I'm wondering if the problem is related to the Lovenox she was prescribed and still using for another 2 days. Has anyone out there had a similar reaction?

_swank_ responded:
It's pretty common to lose your appetite after major surgery. I didn't eat right for close to a month after my TKR and I'm only 52. I took Lovenox for a month after surgery but I never experienced a salty taste. Some medications, especially antibiotics, can cause a metallic taste. It could be caused by any of the medications or just the trauma of surgery. I drank a lot of smoothies after surgery and tried to make sure I was getting plenty of protein since I didn't really feel like eating. The meat at the hospital was really nasty.

It really took me over a month before I even started to get my energy and appetite back.

RoMeister replied to _swank_'s response:
Hi Miriam... I have also experienced the bad mouth taste. I am 37 years old and a little over a month out from TKR. On the pain meds, my mouth was really dry.. as was my skin. Earlier this week, I had really bad flu symptoms and my doc put me on an antibiotic, which I believe is now causing the 'off' taste in my mouth. Like swank, I have been drinking protein shakes just to get something in. Hopefully it'll mean weight loss in the end ;-) Wouldn't complain about that as I need to lose about 40 pounds. Good luck to your mom!

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center