Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Your Replacement Surgery
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd start one thread for everyone to share their knee or hip replacement surgery experiences here.

One of the best things about coming to a health forum like WebMD is that you can hear from real-life people that have gone through some of the things you are experiencing and learn from them.

If you've already gone through your replacement surgery, please share your experience with us here. You can include things like how you made your decision, experiences with different types of doctors, recovery times, and anything else that may help others understand what's involved.

How did your replacement surgery go? What led up to it and what are some of the details that you can share?

georgia888 responded:
Thank you, Andie, for starting this thread. A total hip replacement is in my near future & I visit this website daily only to be discouraged by the lack of such stories.

In addition to a severely arthritic left hip, surgery may be more complicated for me because I have mild fibrous dysplasia of my left femur. Because this is a rare condition, I have not found one surgeon who has performed a THR with fibrous dysplasia. Of course, I would prefer a surgeon experienced with this combination but I believe I would have to travel to bigger cities. I also have severe fibromyalgia.

That's my story. I will continue to watch for the after-surgery stories.

Thank you,
georgia

_swank_ replied to georgia888's response:
Don't be discouraged by the lack of stories. That is actually a good thing. People that have good results rarely seek out message boards to write about their experiences.

I've written about my knee replacement many times so I won't go into details. I will say that I had my surgery at a hospital in a big city that had a joint replacement center. This made a big difference in my whole experience I think. They had all the latest technology in joint replacements and the staff was highly trained in treating joint replacement patients. They had group physical therapy sessions so you could meet the other patients. Even had a weekly luncheon and a reunion several months after surgery. Your "coach" was encouraged to stay with you and participate in physical therapy, etc.

If you have to travel to a bigger city to see a doctor you have confidence in then you should do it. It's a hassle and requires extra planning but it's worth it at the end of the day. Several nearby hotels where I was offered discounts to the family members of patients. My surgery was early so we spent the night before in a hotel. My husband stayed at the hotel while I was in the hospital. It was a lot easier than traveling back and forth and enabled him to participate in my care.

annette030 replied to georgia888's response:
My husband had AVN and had his hip replacedtwo years ago. He is doing great. Perhaps no one responded because they don't have the same rare condition that you have. That is why I didn't write when I first saw your post.

Take your time and find a really good surgeon. I think that is the most important thing.

Take care, Annette

JJLady; responded:
I have had two hip relpacement....the left and right. I should have had them done sooner.one was in 2007 and 2009.I kept listening to everyone saying it was a lot of pain and they had so much trouble after the surgery...but let me tell you I have had great success.The pain after surgery was nothing compared to what I went through before.I am 66 yrs. and feel great ,I can walk with my dog pain feel now.

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center