Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
To: Dr. Raj
georgia888 posted:
Hello Dr. Raj,
Thank you so much for replying to my inquiry concerning my need for THR due to severe OA with the complication of fibrous dysplasia in the proximal femur. Per the surgeon's notes, the FD is confined predominantly to the metaphysis. There is thinning of the cortex as well as some expansion of the metaphyseal bone. There is no significant deformity noted.

My next question to you (& hopefully last as I know you are a very busy doctor) is do you feel I should travel for this surgery. I live in Rochester, New York & although we are home to the highly reputable University of Rochester Medical Center along with three hospitals, all of which have joint replacement centers within, neither surgeon that has evaluated my condition has performed surgery on one with fibrous dysplasia. Apparently, this condition is uncommon enough as to not be found in a city our size. Both doctors have expressed the complexity of such surgery but feel confident in overcoming the challenge.

Of course I would prefer a surgeon who has dealt with this problem & I'm willing to travel. I even researched your website & learned that you don't just operate on celebrities. You're a distance away but you have the experience & I like your answers.

Dr. Bolognesi is a little closer & I see that he, too, is accepting patients.

Please comment.

Thank you,
georgia

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hi Georgia

With the disease confined to the metaphysis all the surgeon has to do is bypass this defective area and secure fixation below. Sounds challenging but really not that difficult. So the answer is go to your local center and feel out if they have comfort doing the procedure and they shouldn't have a problem. If they do by all means travel.

Thanks

Dr Raj

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center