Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Third hip replacement
ocalld posted:
I am 53 years old male and have had two total hip replacements on my left leg. My first hip replacement lasted 15 years and my second hip replacement was 4 years ago. I will most likely see at least one more hip replacement at 65 years old. What can I expect when I have this next hip replacement?

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
ocalid,
It all depends on what part of the hip replacement fails. There are times when a revision hip replacement just entails a change out of the liner in the hip socket portion of the replacement. This is generally a pretty easy operation to recover from. There are also times when the femoral component (thigh bone implant) and/or the acetabular component (metal part of the hip socket implant) fail. These are bigger operations and are associated with a longer period of recovery. There is not doubt that surgeons now have much better implants to use in these "redo" situations. It is hopeful that the options for these redo procedures continue to improve as we go forward. It is most important to make sure you keep an appropriate follow up schedule with your surgeon so that early signs of failure are not missed.

annette030 responded:
Meanwhile, enjoy your life!!!! It sounds like your next revision is about 12 years off, don't waste any time worrying about it.

Be prepared, but who really knows what will be going on in 12 years? The surgeons may have some completely new procedure, or you may not even need it?

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center