Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PAIN AFTER HIP REPLACEMENT
OJOJ64; posted:
Hi Dr. Rajagopalan and all,

I had a total hip replacement by the Hana method in May of 2010. I had a virtually pain free quick recovery. My incision area still hurts and it is tad numb, but really minor. My hip does not hurt anymore at all. About a week ago, I started having really bad pain and weakness in the front of the thigh of the operated leg. It has gotten worse and when I stand up it wanst to collapse on me. At my last doctors visit in September, I was given the all clear, and did not need to be seen till a 1 year follow up. He said everything looked good. Does anyone have a clue at all of what is up? I do not want to run to the doctor if this is normal. I do not know if it is my back with a pinched nerve or a pinch in the hip somewhere. Help! Thanks, Jo-Anna

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hi Jo-Anna,

The hip pain is usually manifested in the groin or in front of the thigh. Things can certainly happen at any point and there is no hard rule that after three months you're perfect, with this giving away and weakness the first thing that comes to mind is loosening/position change of the implant. Definitely go see your surgeon and get an XRAY. Thanks for the question!

- Dr. Raj

OJOJ64; replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
HI Dr. Rajagopalan,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.
I went back to the doctor and was told all once again was ok. When I insisted that all WAS NOT OK.. and that the pain and fear of falling, should the leg collapse, really frightened me, the doctor sent me to rehab. I had been exercising at home.. but at PT many other things are done.. I am one month into PT and it has made a world of difference.. I still get the pain and weakness from time to time.. but not like it was. I am beginning to feel like it may be my back.. but I have no pain there.. just in my buttock and front of my thigh.. will keep you posted.. again thanks for being here for us all. Jo-Anna

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center