Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Knee replacement physical activity after surgery?
An_206579 posted:
I am considering knee replacement surgery; I have developed joints that are painful to stand after sitting for any length of time. I am an old basketball player and wondered would the procedure help with my ability to run and therefore contribute to my wieght control regiment?

_swank_ responded:
High impact sports like running are not generally recommended after a knee replacement. You want that knee to last. However, you can ride a bike, swim or walk to help keep weight off.

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
Activity restrictions following TKA varies from surgeon to surgeon. In general most surgeons advise agains high impact activity that requires running and jumping. This is not to say that we do not want patients to be active. The concern is centered around excessive stress on the implant. We really do not have great data that confirms what activities create the greatest stress on the implants. You need to ask your surgeon what activities he or she will restrict you from before the procedure. I tend to tell people that I am OK with walking, hiking, elliptical trainer, treadmill (walking), stairmaster, doubles tennis, biking, golf and downhill skiing (no moguls). If there is a specific activity that someone wants to do outside of this list I make a decision based on how "high impact" the activity is.

HisWay replied to Michael P Bolognesi, MD's response:
I am looking for a medical opinion regarding a high profile woman, 75 years old, whose husband claims had total knee replacement in both knees, when it is obvious that she had extensive plastic surgery and cosmetic dentistry done during the same period of time that he reported her surgery to have taken place. It really is obvious that she not only was an unlikely candidate for this extreme surgery, but she was seen within 30 days of her alleged surgery, walking gracefully in high heel shoes, crossing her legs for extended periods of time, and even going up and down short steps quickly, etc. This is all having NEVER been seen in public with even a cane. Her knees showed no indication of traditional style surgery (which is the only kind performed by the surgeon named publically by her her husband). We have video footage showing her knee ability within weeks of her alleged surgery date, and her "incredible" ability to walk in high heels and unassisted 30-52 days after her alleged surgery.

This is completely documented, and I am wondering if you Dr. Bolognesi would be willing to take a look at a video that I have put together demonstrating all that I have described.

I am sure you will recognize both individuals in the video.

Please let me know if you would would be able to look at this. It really has significant import not only to verify that this husband's report was a lie in this instance, but that he lies about many things. If this could be properly exposed, then many people would no longer be swindled out of their donations to this man and his organization.

I look forward to your reply, and will respond with a link to my video if you could do that.

Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center