Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TKR and numbness
Wildblue2 posted:
I had a total knee replacement six months ago and am left with numbness running paralel to the incision (not unusual), but also a path of numbness that starts on the back of my knee, inner side, and runs down into my calf for several inches. The surgeon says he is baffled. I had an MRI to see if it was originating in my back, but that does not appear to be the case. Has anyone else experienced this? I have found one similar account on another site, but otherwise this seems to be almost an isolated event. I see a chiropractor and he speculates that there was nerve damage during the surgery, since I did not have the numbness before and noticed it several days after (when my knee was unwrapped).

_swank_ responded:
Numbness is pretty common after a TKR. My whole entire lower leg was numb from the tourniquet for several days. It did all come back eventually except for areas around my knee. Nerve damage happens. and there's not a whole lot that can be done other than just waiting. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. And it can take months.

I would stay away from the chiropractor. Do not let him anywhere near your new knee. Your orthopedic surgeon is a medical doctor, the chiropractor is not. If it really bugs you then see a neurologist or have your ortho guy order and EMG.

Wildblue2 replied to _swank_'s response:
The numbness around my knee I was warned about and had minimal expectations that it would change, but the numbness on the inside of my knee that extends from the back of my knee and into my calf seems to be a big surprise to the surgeon and is troubling to me, since there is varying sensation in the numb section in my calf, depending on swelling in my knee--makes me think the swelling is impinging on the affected nerve.I was more optimistic about the possibility of it going away at six days, and then at six weeks. But after six months, I guess it's a done deal. I am considering seeing a neurologist, just to know what is going on. By the way, the chiropractor never touches my replaced knee, but thanks for the warning.

vhoupt responded:
I am 5 days out from unicompartmental of the medial side and I am numb along the lateral side of the incision. They kept asking me if I felt numb and did not until they removed the tight wrap. I also doing self injections of Fragmin in the belly to prevent blood clots. Some pain in side of calf area like strain. Home health nurse coming Monday so I will see what she thinks...

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center