Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
shin pain after tkr
An_206581 posted:
I am 5 days post op of tkr. Yesterday, I started experiencing very sharp shin pain everytime I get up to walk. I can hardly bear weight initially but it does go away after I get going. Is this "normal'? I've not read where anyone else has experienced this.
thanks

_swank_ responded:
I don't know if I would call it normal but it's certainly expected that you will experience all kinds of weird pains and sensations that you never felt before. It's all part of the healing process and at five days post-op it's only just begun. Intense pain when you first stand up is 'normal' as well. I always heard it called 'blood rush' as blood moves down into your leg. This has happened to me after every knee surgery I've ever had. If you've never had surgery before then all this stuff can seem scary. Look over all the paperwork they gave you and just make sure you pay attention to any of the warning signs of infection, blood clots, etc.

An_245758 responded:
I had a totol hip replacement 5days ago and everytime I get up my shin feels like it's on fire.I am having the same experience as 206581 posted two years ago. How long did it last? Thanks

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_245758's response:
Hi An_245758 and welcome to WebMD,

If you haven't already, I encourage you to start a new discussion on the board so others can more easily find your post and respond.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center