Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
reverse shoulder replacement
onmiland posted:
I am having rtsr done next mt am looking for anyone that has had this done and their out come

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
onmiland,
I have not had the procedure but I have colleagues that perform the operation. As you likely know the reverse prostheses are often used after regular shoulder prostheses have failed or when a patient has a rotator cuff tear that can not be repaired and bad shoulder arthritis. The recovery from the operation is likely like the recovery from a regular shoulder replacement and may take a full year to reach maximum recovery. There will be physical therapy afterwards and it is likely critical to be compliant with the PT to optimize your outcome. I do a lot of knee and hip replacment procedures but have many patients that have had shoulder replacements as well. Most indicate that the recovery from shoulder is harder than hip and more like the recovery from a knee replacement. Hope that helps and good luck!

ridgecrect replied to Michael P Bolognesi, MD's response:
HI, Dr.Bolognesi.
I had a knee replacemnet in Sept. 2009. By March 2010 it failed. Wet for a bone scan and the scan outcome was loose of all components. Oct. 2011 i got a knee revision and the Dr. told me that all prostheeses came off and out with the cement and the cement felt like soft gum. I guess it never took hold and bonded to begin with. If not what could have cause this.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center