Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hip Replacement
Greels1 posted:
I am scheduled to have my right hip replaced in February. Any advice I can gather before then I will gladly accept. I am apprehensive and nervous about the situation and upcoming surgery. I am mid 50's and my xray shows bone on bone in that hip so there really isn't another alternative that I know of. Thanks in advance for your help, encouragement, and advice.

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
Greels1,
Sounds like your hip really bad off. I think that it is normal for patients to be apprehensive and nervous. I suspect you will actually be very happy that you went through with the operation shortly after it is over. I am in no way trying to trivialize the operation. Most of our patients stay 2-3 nights in the hospital but there are many patients that can go home after one night. It varies how much physical therapy different physicians require of their patients. I tell people that they should be about 75% recovered at 6 weeks. I hope at that point they are not requiring any assistive aids for walking and most have been off pain meds for some time by then. You will hopefully be encouraged to hear that one of the well known medical journals recently idenitified total hip arthroplasty as the "operation of the century" becasue of the excellent results associated with the procedure. Best of luck to you!

annette030 responded:
I hope your surgery goes well for you. My husband had a hip replaced a couple of years ago due to AVN of the head of the femur. It just broke into pieces. He was back to work full time as a heavy truck mechanic in 8 weeks. No PT except he was told to walk as much as possible.

He is thrilled with the outcome of the surgery. He had a slight problem when they removed the staples, they left two in by mistake. But once they were removed all went well. He is very glad he had it done.

Take care, Annette

Sufferteer responded:
I have had bilateral hip replacement. If I can do it you can to just make sure you keep your weight down. Do everything the Dr. tell you to do and most of all you must know after the surgery is over thing can't do nothing but get better. I've had both hips replaced and lately my left knee.So far so good, i'm 7 weeks into recovery. Painful yes! determined yes! because I know things can't help but get better from this point regardless of the odds. From what I can see the odds are in my favor. Good Luck you will do Great

An_206587 replied to Michael P Bolognesi, MD's response:
I just heard about anterior hip replacement and it sounds like an easier operation.  What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center