Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
knee or hip done first?
An_206589 posted:
I am 55 years old & need replacement surgery for a left hip & right knee. The knee just recently worsened with swelling & stiffness. The hip is bone to bone yet the knee seems to interfere more with mobility than the knee. I haven't yet had the knee x-rayed but I know it's bad.

Any suggestions as to which one should be replaced first?

Thank you!

Sufferteer responded:
I have had both hips done and lately my left knee was done November 2010. My surgery is now 7 weeks old. My knee had to be done because I was having pain within my total leg from hip to ankle. This pain was so bad it would bring water to my eyes. And on top of the pain i began to fall backward. It only took 3 fall and i realize something was wrong. Went to the Dr. and I was told my knee was gone, bone on bone was where all the Pain was coming from. My surgery was sat ASAP within 3 weeks i had gone back under the knife. Knee pain will radiate up and down the entire leg. If you are not careful you will think it's the hip and all the time it your knee. My surgery went well now getting back on my feet is slowly but surely. 7 weeks later and still can't tolerate anything to touch against it, night pain and burning keeping me awake even with taking pain medication. But as the knee heals the pain decreases so when I have a pain free day or night which hasn't happen lately, I believe I just might do a flip. But don't wait to long before having your surgery, you will do yourself more harm then good. Believe me I know pain has been my life and it's no fun. So while you go something for the Dr. to attach to have the surgery because there is such a thing as waiting to long or to late.Good Luck you must first make the first step, do this for yourself it your Life cherish it.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center