Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
hip replacement and wieght loss
An_206594 posted:
My dr has told me that 95% of the cartiledge in my hip is gone and I have dibillitating pain which I am taking Vicoden for several times a day. However, my dr states he wont do the surgery until I lose 100lbs..I do not qualify, based on bmi, for any type of gastric surgery, and am having a difficult time losing it due to inability to do any wieght bearing exercise or walking as well as a thyroid issue. Is this standard? will all Drs tell me the sme thing?

_swank_ responded:
No, not all doctors will tell you the same thing. When I had my knee replaced there was a very obese woman in the PT classes that just had her hip done. It made it harder for her to get around but she did very well just the same.

I'd encourage you to get into a pool for exercise. That is the best thing you can do for yourself. It's great exercise and everyone can do it.

annette030 responded:
I had a plastic surgeon's office refuse to even let me see the doctor because with my BMI they said Medicare would not approve the surgery I medically needed. I would have to wait until I lost more weight. I went to another surgeon and she did the surgery and Medicare was fine with my BMI. It was not even an issue. I think the first doctor just doesn't like to deal with Medicare.

Try seeing another doctor, but if 2 out of 3 tells you to lose weight first, then lose the weight first. They may have valid reasons.

I was down in Southern Calif. visiting my son for Xmas, and they advertise gastric banding on billboards. I asked my DIL about it and she said they will cover it if you are only 50 pounds overweight. I don't recommend you go that route, but I don't understand your whole BMI problem.

Take care, Annette

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

If your BMI is not high enough for gastric bypass, there are definitely some surgeons out there who will do your hip. The issue with some surgeons is that they will not work on bigger or overweight clients, due to higher complications [or potential complications during and after surgery.> I do understand, it is hard to lose weight when you can't walk. You might want to try pool therapy to lose some weight.

- Dr. Raj
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC

chris6266 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Thanks to everyone for the good advice...I did see another surgeon who is doing the surgery in just a few weeks! Hoping to be walking on the beach for Summer!

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to chris6266's response:
Great to hear, Chris! Hoping for lots of long walks on the beach for you in the very near future!! :)

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center