Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain After TKR at 3 1/2 Months
suezq1st posted:
I am a chronic pain patient. I had hoped that getting my knee replaced would help me reduce pain meds. However, I have had to increase them - this far after surgery I am taking way more than I'd hoped.

I was feeling pretty good until I tried to "run" in the pool. I ended up with a swollen knee - worse than just after surgery, increased pain and limited ROM. I feel like I have about 100 degrees of active motion now. I don't feel very "functional".

I am trying to stay active, going to the gym and working with a personal trainer to get stronger, but I am frustrated about the lack of progress that I see. MD says that everything looks great on the x-ray taken at 6 weeks post op.

Should I push for new x-rays or try something else, like acupuncture?

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Suezq,

How long ago did the pool incident happen? Did you see a doctor then, or have you seen once since? If the latest x-rays were at 6 weeks post op, I would ask for a new set to be done to make sure I hadn't done anything serious.

You might also ask your question on our Sports Medicine Community for more input.

I hope the recovery time improves for you!

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center