Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6 weeks after bi-lateral knee surgery and I still can not sleep at night
Macmmm posted:
I had bi-lateral knee replacement 6 weeks ago. Was home in 3 days after surgery and started outpatient PT next week. My left knee is doing great. My right knee not as good. Swells during PT and every day during my 30 minute walk. I have been told that no two knees are the same and be patient. My major issue is sleeping. I can function during the day and no longer take any Oxyicodin. I do take (1) 10MG Oxyicontin before bed along with (1) 15MG Temazepan (sleeping pill) before bed. This sill does not help. I can't get comfortable in any position in bed. My knees are hot all the time. I would give anything for a good night of sleep. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also how long can I keep taking the Oxycotin?

_swank_ responded:
This is one of the reasons I would tell people not to do both knees at once. If one doesn't come out as well you're without a good leg.

At any rate, sleep is something that is going to allude you for a long time. I think it was 6 months before I might have slept through the night. All you can do is find a position as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. At this point you may not be able to put pillows under your knees (a nono right after surgery) so that makes things even worse.

I just resigned myself to not sleeping and kept my TV remote within reach. Oxycontin, for me, is totally worthless for post surgery pain. I took oxycodone which is the short-acting version. The dose your taking is also very low so you need to ask your doctor for something stronger.

susanlisa responded:
I also had bi lateral knee surgery six weeks and its hard to fall asleep I also take the oxyicontin as well . Are you still using a walker? I would consult your doctor about the pain meds.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center