Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pain and weakness in thigh after THP
OJOJ64 posted:
Hi Dr. Raj,
I am now 10 months post op on my THR. The pain in my hip and groin is totally gone, but.. I have severe pain and weakness in the femur and thigh of the leg that was operated on. I have had it since surgery. I have no pain in my back at all.. just my left buttock and then it comes around to the front of my thigh, and down the front. I can be perfectly fine one moment, and then the leg gives out and I almost fall.. I have no advanced warning that it will do this. I have been back to my doctor several times, and I am told it is not my hip or the implant. I think it is a pinched nerve.. what do I do now??? Thanks for the help, Jo-Anna

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jo-Anna,

Thanks for posting your question. I'm sure our community will be chiming in soon with any tips they might have from their experiences.

In your last post you mentioned the hip pain and Dr Raj suggested that you take new X-rays. Were those done? I believe an xray would also show a pinched nerve if that were the case.

You might also consider speaking with a Chiropractor or your doctor about sciatic pain that can sometimes be felt in the buttocks/leg area.

Please check back and let us know what you found out. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon!

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
Jo-Anna,
Some of the symptoms you describe are concerning for possible loosening of the femoral component. This is the part of the hip replacement that is in your thigh (or femur) bone. You need to make sure you are communicating all of these symptoms to your surgeon. When I am concerned about this possible mode of failure I will get serial radiographs over time and look changes in the implant position that might suggest it is not well fixed. Once a patient is over a year out from the surgery I will sometimes get a bone scan to see if there is any suggestion that the femoral component is loose. You also have to make sure that some of these symptoms are not coming from your back. You would not be the first patient that had a hip replacement go well and then have some persistent pain related to a lumbar spine condition that would not have been addressed with the hip surgery. It is not uncommon for hip and back problems to co-exist. Hope this helps.The main thing again is to keep the lines of communication open with your surgeon.

OJOJ64 replied to Michael P Bolognesi, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. B...

I feel like I am bugging his office.. I have been back 3 times.. and they x-ray, and say all looks good.. perhaps it is my back? This getting "old" business is not so fun. I appreciate your taking the time to address my concerns. Jo-Anna

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD replied to OJOJ64's response:
If you get to a full year out from surgery and you still have sever pain in your thigh you need to have a work up for loosening of the implant (femoral). If that work-up is negative then your back needs to be evaluated thoroughly. it is certainly not uncommon for back and hip problems to co-exist.I am sorry you are having trouble and wish you the best with the hip.

GoBrowns responded:
I am experiencing similar problems with my second hip replacement, done in June. My hip and back feel great, but I have constant pain in my thigh. I also have numbness in the same thigh. At times the pain in my thigh is very bad, feels like the pain is coming right from the femur, and a pinched nerve, shooting pain down my leg. My surgeon gave me a steriod shot last visit and it helped a little. But I still feel the pain everyday. When it gets bad I have to stop whatever I am doing and rest it. Thanks Dr. Bolognesi for your replys and insight. I am going to ask my surgeon about the implant and the femur.

arbob5 replied to GoBrowns's response:
I had my left hip replaced 8 years ago at age 66, right knee replaced 7-1/2 years ago at 67, and right hip replaced this past July 16. I'm 74 years old now and followed my in home therapy to a tee, and have continued with this plan 4 months after the surgery. I have no pain whatsoever and can only think that continuing with these exercises have been the right answer for me. I saw my Dr. 6 weeks after the surgery and he was very pleased and said he didn't need to see me for a year unless there was a problem, which, he said, he did not expect.

I was told before each of my surgeries that the physical therapy plan was very important. I have continued with it as I start my day and then go through the routine before bedtime. It only takes about 15 minutes. It has worked so well for me and I would recommend it to anyone who is about to have this kind of surgery. I don't know what plan you followed, but is it possible that you discontinued the exercises? I just wish that all joint replacement patients would have the success that I've had. I have highly recommended this to friends and family and there have been some who have also followed up with this routine and their surgeries have been just as successful.

Deago99 responded:
Hi Jo-Ann, I see this post is three years old, but I pray that your problem has been resolved, because I'm having the same exact problem but I'm only 5 months post op, but I can't imagine going through this for life. If you or anyone else see this and have any suggestions please advise..

arbob5 responded:
I have had both hips replaced, the first one (left) 9 years ago and the second one a year ago. I do have some weakness in the right thigh and have had that since the latest surgery. Saw my surgeon two weeks ago for a year checkup after the surgery and after xrays, all is well. He stated that quite possibly I have a back condition...he is right...2 years ago I was diagnosed with stenosis, prominent on the right side. So that is obviously the thigh situation. I can honestly say tho, that if I continue to do the post-op exercises that I did after my latest hip surgery, it does definitely seem to help to ease the weakness in the thigh. Its not my imagination either, so I will continue to do these exercises. They are quite easy and only take about 8 minutes of my time a day. Good solution for me. Try this...it might help and certainly cannot cause any harm. Let us know how you're doing, ok?

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center