Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I need some help about my hip replacement
funtobemetoday posted:
Jan5th i had a hip replacement on the right side,my doctor used a ceramic hip,i went to rehab hospital afterwards,then home,i started to swell from fluid,had aspiration was not an infection was blood and then had second surgery to have a drain put in.sent home still have swelling and so much pain.If i am sitting i have to lean on my left side to much pressure anywhere on my thigh causes me to wince in pain,i even have pain in my backside on the right side.Something is very wrong here and my doctor says he has never seen anyone in this much pain from hip replacement you can see the swell through my pants,plz someone help me with what to do?

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
It sounds like you had a hematoma (or blood collection) after the surgery that required you to have to go back to the operating room to have the hematoma removed or washed out. Hopefully the blood removed was analyzed for infection. Any time somone persists with pain after the surgery and is not improving it is important to make sure there is infection present. When I see a patient in your situation I often will draw some labs that can be suggestive of infection and if they are abnomal we often have some fluid taken off the hip with a needle and have it examined for infection. You need to keep an open converstation with your surgeon and make sure you find out what the plan is going foward. There is always the chance that this is just a slow recovery secondary to the fact that you had to have a re-operation shortly after the first operation. Hopefully your surgeon is seeing you more frequently than normal given the tough time you appear to be having.

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center