Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
TKR - Slightly Younger
TonyBeeman posted:
I'm scheduled to have TKR on my right knee in about a month and I'm having trouble finding anyone my age who has been through the procedure. I'm 41 and my legs are in pretty good shape but it seems that most people have this surgery in their 60s or later.

I'm wondering how my experience and recovery might be different because I'm younger. I'm really trying to understand what my recovery will look like in regards to my ability to get back to work. I work a desk job on a computer and can work from home (from bed or the couch). My doctor said he thought I could start working from home in about 2 weeks - is that crazy? Can anyone, especially in my age group, comment on what life might be like 2 weeks after a TKR?

_swank_ responded:
Generally, younger people recuperate faster. It really depends on what kind of shape you're in before surgery. That is true regardless of your age.

If you can work from bed then I'd say two weeks is pretty reasonable. I think I was driving by that time. I was back in school full time a month later.

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael P Bolognesi, MD responded:
Recovery is extremely variable. We have people that make the bulk of their revcovery in two weeks and a lot that feel like they are not fully recovered till one year out. I think you have to be reasonable about what you take on in the first 6 weeks after the procedure. Your young age and likely good health can be a benefit but there is some research that indicates that younger patients can have more pain. I never restrict people from returning to their work if they feel like they are up for it but I ask them to be honest with themselves.

Kdp47 responded:
I had my tkr on 4/4/11, I will be 48 in June. I did really well my home therapy was done in two weeks. But I was in the hospital for 5 days and therapy 2 weeks and I start outpatient on Monday, The coumadin and pain medicine makes me tired, I have a desk job but I would not go back before 6 weeks because I really want to be successful and I need to do alot of therapy to make that happen. I could probably push myself but would be concerned about my total recovery especially sitting at a desk.

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center