Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Clean Xray & MRI, but still in pain!
Juls707 posted:
I noticed medial knee pain quickly after one of my usual 3 miles runs 3 months ago. The pain has become worse as time has gone by...I stopped all running and aerobic activity 7 weeks ago, have been icing several times a day, NSAID therapy, elevation, and wearing a flexible brace when walking around at work. It is painful to walk and find myself limping. The pain is constant, lasts all day, and not relieved by anything - Not even a steroid injection in the knee. Now, my other knee is starting to experience the same pain. My xray and MRI images are "perfect" according to ortho doc. Dr. said there might be a small chance this pain is from a problem in my hip because there is a nerve in the hip (femoral, sciatic, or obturator) that serves the knee joint. I am now scheduled for an injection in my hip to see if that helps. Any suggestions??

_swank_ responded:
There's also a chance that the MRI missed something in your knee. If injections, physical therapy and everything else doesn't work then arthroscopic knee surgery might provide answers.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello -

Your doctor is absolutely right. The hip and spine can mimic knee pain, I would get a XRAY and MRI of your hip and spine, before undergoing a hip injection, as the answer might be in the hip and spine, and not the knee. I would get a second opinion as well, as this sounds like it could be complicated and always best to see another doctor for their thoughts or other ideas.

- Dr. Raj
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC www.drhipandknee.com

kingokocim replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
I also have severe knee pain without anything showing on my mri. I have bee seeing a chiropractor for other issues, and he does adjust my spine and hips. My knee pain came only after my adjustments. I have tendon pain in my ankle, and the chiropractor believes my knee pain is a result of me compensating for the ankle pain.

What do you recommend I do to solve the debilitating knee pain? Do I discontinue my chiropractic adjustments? Do I continue them? My knee pain is now worse than the original reason I went to the chiropractor for. I am at a loss and need some direction.

_swank_ replied to kingokocim's response:
Seems pretty obvious that if your pain started after seeing the chiropractor then you should quit seeing him. Personally, I would never go to a chiropractor. Too many of them think they can cure everything and they are not medical doctors. Give it a rest and if it doesn't get better then go back to an orthopedic surgeon.

OlderThanILook replied to kingokocim's response:
OMG! I am having this EXACT same problem. I had a hip replacement few years ago and all was great lost weight, daily excersing. This past year gained weight, knee kicked in badly had X-rays, MRI, then 2 weeks later my ankle is killing me!
X-rays and MRI clean...don't know what to do.

JD082570 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
My father has bad knee pain. He even had surgery and they didnt see anything. He cant stand or sit too long without it really hurting. I really feel bad for him. Doctors do not know what it is. He even started doing acupuncture! Any ideas?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to JD082570's response:
Hi JD and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to start a new discussion with your message and questions. (It will be easier for Dr. Raj to find and respond to your post if it's a new discussion.)

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center