Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Smith and Nephew's new OXINIUM? knee replacement
TedHerman posted:
Has anyone experienced this new knee replacement? I am holding off for the TKR until i have more information on this device.

_swank_ responded:
I've had mine for a year now. So far no problems. Most people, doctors included, will tell you to choose your surgeon and not a specific device. It will only be as good as the surgeon that replaces your knee no matter what kind of device they use. I let my doctor make that decision. He usually uses this one on his younger patients as they are supposed to last longer. Nobody has had one for 30 years yet so that remains to be seen.

TedHerman replied to _swank_'s response:
I don't want to go through the surgery twice ( 3 times?) as I'm told the older replacement last 10 - 15 years and i am in my late 50's. The end result of 30 years is certainly a lot more attractive than the alternative. Hence i scratch my head.

_swank_ replied to TedHerman's response:
Technology is getting better and better. Most of the stuff they use these days should last at least 20 years. There's no guarantees of course but there is reason to be hopeful. I was 52 when I had mine replaced. My doctor is hopeful that it will outlast me. We'll see.

TedHerman replied to _swank_'s response:
Best of luck with the device, and thanks for your reply. I also believe technology is getting better and bette, so i'll wait it out.

_swank_ replied to TedHerman's response:
Don't wait too long, the longer you wait the worse the result. Technology is always going to get better so you'll be forever waiting and missing out on life. At least that's the way I looked at it. I want to live my life today because there is no guarantee that there will be a tomorrow.

Yatwice responded:
I'm scheduled for knee double total knee at end of Aug. I'm in my mid 40's and have been suffering for over 7 years. I was told to wait at first, but my doctors and I now both agree I can no longer wait. I'm going to try the 30 yr knee because there are no guarantees that I will outlast them either. I want to live my life now.

CamilleOO3 responded:
I had both knees replaced on 6/12/11 and I am doing great! I went to a rehab facility for a week and then did physical therapy until two weeks ago. I am going to the gym three times a week now, I'm a 64 y/o female and have rehabed knees before. I have 138 degrees of flexion in my right knee and 137 in my left knee. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be but had a top notch surgeon! Good luck!

fun4matt responded:
Hi Ted,

Did you get the oxininum knees and if so how did they go.

fun4matt replied to CamilleOO3's response:
hi Camille,

Did you get teh oxnium knees?

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center