Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Knee Replacement - Weight Limit?
Anon_235187 posted:
My mother-in-law is exploring knee replacement for both knees; however, she is 4'11", 260 lbs and 70 yrs old. What is the recommended weight for a person of her height and age for this procedure?
Thanks!
Tony

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

There are no specific recommendations when it comes to weight, or age, for knee replacement surgery. If you are on the heavier side, we use precautions to prevent loosening, and other complications, however if you are not at a healthy weight going into the surgery, there are more risks and possible complications. However if the surgery is needed, and your surgeon recommends that it happen & feels comfortable performing the surgery no matter what the weight of the patient is, I say go for it.

-Dr. Raj
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC www.drhipandknee.com

YPease replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Dr. Raj -

I am also 4' 11" and I weigh 186. I am having TKR on 11/7/11 and have been trying to lose weight before surgery. I was never over weight before my knee problems, however, I feel my weight may have exacerbated the onset of my symptoms. My Ortho did not seem to have a problem with my weight, but I sure do. Is it helpful to possibly lose some weight prior to surgery?

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center