Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I have no knee cap...
AlekaS posted:
I am not sure I am even in the right community for this question but, I was in a car accident several years ago. When I woke up in the hospital the doctor said he had to remove my knee cap because it had been crushed. But said he didn't put a prosthetic one in because I would be just fine without it. It has been several years and I excercise and I still have major problems with my knee. I have had no insurance so I have not seen anyone in a long time. Would puting in a prosthetic patella give me the ability to do more things? Should I suck it up and pay to see a doctor?

Hopeful for Info,

Sascha

_swank_ responded:
There's no way to answer that question without seeing a doctor. So yeah, you're going to have to at least pay for a consultation. My grandfather lived most of his life without a kneecap. He got around fine.

AlekaS replied to _swank_'s response:
thanks....are u a doctor?

AlekaS replied to AlekaS's response:
I get "around". I am also 26 years old and am wondering if it can help me get around more that that. I cant run, climb stairs without looking like an old woman, and stand on my leg for more that an hour....so i will talkk to an actual doctor. Thanks

_swank_ replied to AlekaS's response:
Yes, good idea talking to a doctor. Even if someone here can tell you the surgery can be done you're still going to need to talk to a doctor and find one that will do the surgery.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

You need to see another doctor about this, no matter what. I think, that a prosthetic patella at this stage in the game, will not help with the pain in your knee. You do need a MRI and XRays though, to see what is really going on in there. I would say yes, go see a doctor.

- Dr. Raj
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

renimous responded:
I was born without knee caps due to a genetic disorder and I don't think it has been related to any of my knee issues...it just is good armor for when I fall lol...Easier to fracture joint and such...my other knee is partial and slides around...causes discomfort and some pretty intense pain. I dont think a prosthetic will do much help...it could possibly give you stability and more protection but im going to bet that the pain is being caused by something entirely unrelated to the lack of knee cap.

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center