Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hip replacement
jowildflowers posted:
I'd like to hear from someone who's had a hip replacement for some advice on some dos and don'ts. What did you find your biggest challenges were?

OJOJ64 responded:
Hi, I had my hip replaced in May 0f 2010... I had the Hanna hip method.. where they go in from the from the front of your thigh, vs going in from your buttocks. I had no restrictions at all.. I could cross my legs if I wanted to with no fear of hip displacement ( fine trick if.. you can do it...lol ) Biggest challange for the first 3 weeks.. was getting in and out of bed. Was difficult trying to tackle my driveway which is a hard slope. Best advice? Do the exercises your doctor will give you to do... I did them 3 times a day.. and the more you walk.. the better it is..even if you just walk around inside your home. Best of luck! Jo-Anna

jowildflowers replied to OJOJ64's response:
JoAnna, so good of you to respond. I'm on day13 after having my hip surgery. I'm able to do 10 each of the exercises, but with some pain. Once I understood that I would have pain, I stopped fighting it and worked along with it, stopping to relax at times. Everyone says I'm doing great, so am encouraged to look for better "feelilng days". As to getting out of bed, sitting up straight, and swinging my legs together over the side, seemed to help the most. Jer. 30:17 was brought to my attention some 3 years ago, so I am believing it to be for me!

OJOJ64 replied to jowildflowers's response:
Hi Jo... So good to hear you are actually done with the worst part.. DId you have the Hana procedure (front of thigh) or thru the buttock area? If Buttocks.. I have heard that that is the more painful one.. so hang in there.. do the exercises as often as you can... and walk with your walker or cane.. many times a day thru your home.. I promise.. it gets sooo much better.. and is well worth it..

The incision is on the outside of my hip. I don't know what kind of an operation it was, really. I nearly fell today, and in catching myself, I strained a little. I'm getting around okay, but have to take it slowly. I have an e-book released this week called "So You Plan to Marry a Man" if you happen to know of any ladies getting close to the time of thinking along that line. My blog is jean-oathout.blogspot.com Many interesting topics there...

Hi Jo,
It is important to know which surgery you had for the future.. you can call the doctors office and ask for his nurse and she can tell you. If the tme is still under a month post op.. give it some time.. each day will get better and you will get stronger. USE YOUR WALKER! It will support you and you can lean on it without the fear of falling. When you are ready to give up the walker ( YOU WILL KNOW ) use the cane.. more for your own peace of mind. I was without anything 3 weeks post op.. but, everyone is different. Hang in there ..WALK WALK WALK... even if just in the house.. and do your exercises.. it sure helps speed up your flexibility and stiffness. Again, I wish you a speedy recovery. Jo-Anna

Jo-Anna,
I had to get meds to help me through the nights, but had a good sleep finally, last night. I'm now using my cane during the day, once I'm steady on my feet. I attended church Sunday, and was very weak, but enjoyed being there. I see a steady improvement daily. Thanks for your words of encouragment and instruction.

I am so happy for you. think positive.. the end results are so worth it! Jo-Anna

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center