Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Out of Town Surgery
georgia888 posted:
Has anyone had replacement (hip or knee) surgery performed out of town? I'm a candidate for hip replacement & have a condition known as fibrous dysplasia of my femur. I live in a mid-sized city with great medical care but none of our surgeons have experience with this rare condition. After researching online, I found a good doctor at the Cleveland Clinic who has this experience. It's about 4 hours from my home. I haven't yet made an appointment because I need to do further research concerning my health insurance, travelling, etc.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
georgia

_swank_ responded:
I had mine done a couple hours away. My husband decided to stay at a hotel while I was in the hospital rather than go back and forth. The trip home wasn't fun buy my doctor made sure I had plenty of meds to make the trip.

georgia888 replied to _swank_'s response:
Thank you, swank. Can I ask why you went out of town for the surgery?

georgia

_swank_ replied to georgia888's response:
Basically because that's where my doctor did his joint replacements. The hospital had a joint replacement center so everyone on that floor was having joint replacements and the staff was very well trained to handle such patients.

georgia888 replied to _swank_'s response:
Thank you for replying. Good luck with your new joint.

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center