Skip to content
Knee Implant Metal Allergy
An_240979 posted:
Looking for others who have discovered an allergy to the metals implanted and require replacement. With repeated effusions (swelling) in knee over 15 months finally my doc allowed the MELISA test (lymphocyte transformation test) and I had allergies to at least 5 metals - 3 of which were in the implant. Subsequent skin tests showed negative reaction to metals. My doc says rare but I've heard of others having similar allergies. If you have had a reaction - what was the treatment? Did you have a revision surgery? For those about to undergo implants - make sure you ask about allergies - and not just skin contact allergies to metals - this is unreliable in predicting subsequent internal rejection of metals.

undefined responded:
I am allergic to nickel and having horrible problems My knee implant knocked out my stomach. I have bad pain in my knee and in a finger where I have metal I am waiting for the doctor to say if I can have a Ceramic Oxium implant. If so it will be the 3rd time. I skin test was negative I have had depression as well.

Anon_233362 replied to 33605692's response:
It took me 3 1/2 years of chronic body and knee pain to prove to doctors I was in distress. I stumbled upon Clifford Consulting in Colorado. They can test your blood to see if you are having a reaction to your replacement. My test can back positive as being reactive to nickel. I sent those results to a surgeon that did not do the original surgery. I refused to let the original surgeon touch me again. I was begging for help and he practically ran me out of his office telling me nothing was wrong. The current surgeon wanted a backup blood test and he sent blood to a lab in Chicago named Orthopedic Annalysis. That test is now back and is positive for nickel reaction. I am to have revision surgery in August using a Oxium implant. Has anyone had this type surgery with success?

17surgerieslostyears responded:
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. I know I an not alone. Who and where is the doctor who believes in your situation? My fianc? will take me anywhere,,,,he has watched my health deteriorate! My PRIMARY care physician- not an orthopedist- could see from the pathology report that my condition was caused by tissue reaction but my surgeon says the structure is fine...all of the clicking and bone dissembling which I have to physically put into place is just normal! I will research the MELISA test. THANKS!!!!!!

17surgerieslostyears replied to 33605692's response:
Being at the mercy of your body's pain and physicians' unresponsiveness is very depressing. I have had 17 surgeries with 5 of them to correct incorrect implant sizing. I understand and hope that this is the answer to your problem. I will look it up as well. Best wishes!

williefrank replied to 17surgerieslostyears's response:
I went to the Houghston Clinic in Columbus, Georgia.
phone 706-324-6661. The Doctor is Carlton Savory. However I had blood work from Clifford Consulting that proved I was having a reaction. I also had seen Dr. Savory before and he said I might be having a reaction, but only suggested going to an allergy doctor. Dr. Savory after seeing the Clifford result ordered addition testing and sent it the Chicago lab. It can back positive. You are going to have to prove a reaction to get a doctor to believe you. You will need to have your family doctor call Clifford Consulting to order the testing kit. You will also have to pay for the test $295.00. But it was worth it as it opened doors that had been slammed in my face. I have been living an unending nightmare of pain for nearly 4 years and a trail of doctors that did not believe me. I just hope and pray the oxium works. Hope and prayers to you.

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center