Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Swelling flare-up after total knee
MaryInDoor posted:
I had a total knee two and a half months ago. Pt was going well and got ROM if 128 unassisted and 134 with assist Not sure why but i suddenly got so much swelling that i now cannot get more than a 90 degree bend I did have an incident of the knee buckling backwards and I had been on my feet a lot for a number of days but my I didnt have pain so thought ll was well Now I feel like I am back to ground zero Has that happened to anyone and did you get the range back? Is there any way to speed up the reduction of swelling? I am on Coumadin so can only take Tylenol. This is quite disheartening and I am now just resting, elevating, and icing. Do I have a hope of regaining mobility? Hope for some good news. Thanks

debbmm37 responded:
am 12 weeks out from my TKR.and i have the same problems. Instead of continued improvement im going backwards.Ive had blood clots in the same leg so when the swelling gets really bad I end up in ER just to rule out more DVTs.and the pain is aweful.Im afraid to walk alone because of the buckling.Im afraid to fall.My drs say it takes time but Im getting discouraged.If I find I can find any information that will help Ill let you know.Just wanted you to know your not alone.

shami23alizeh19 responded:
My mother has had her Total Knee Arthroplasty one n half month ago and she also suffered from joint swelling and pain through out her recovery. There is a possibility of delayed infection of the joint. For that you need to talk to your doctor and ask him to get your knee X - ray, and a sample of the fluid from your knee for culture and sensitivity. Secondly, Your blood should be checked for CBC, ESR and C reactive proteins so that it could be ascertained if you have an infection of the joint In this case you will be given antibiotics both orally and I/v. You also need to know the cause of your joint destruction. Whether, it was osteoarthritis or Rheumatoid arthritis. Because if it is Rheumatoid Arthritis than there is a chance that there is a flare up of your Rheumatoid Arthritis and you should be treated for that. Hope this might give you some idea of disease and what needs to be done.

Dr. Fawad.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center