Skip to content
Still having pain 2 yrs after Total hip replacement
An_242363 posted:
I had a total hip replacement in Jan 2009 and still have pain in my groin aand sciatic nerve. Since the xray shows no problem with the replacement, my doctor seems unconcerned. Any ideas on what is causing my pain. I continue to do the exercises I learned while in PT.

georgia888 responded:
I'm curious, did you have stiffness before your surgery & if so, did that go away afterwards? Do you have arthritis or any other conditions in your back? The groin pain is usually associated with OA of the hip however, the sciatic nerve can lead to other pains.

Take care,
georgia

An_242363 replied to georgia888's response:
I did and still do have stiffness. I have fibromyalgia and I also hhave ankylosing spondylitis.

georgia888 replied to An_242363's response:
I, too, have Fibromyalgia & I'm also in need of a hip replacement. Your continuous pain may very well be the result of the Fibro. One surgeon told me that with the Fibro, the pain will most likely persist long after surgery. Fibro is a beast.

Good luck,
georgia

Susanhavlicsek replied to georgia888's response:
Hmmm, my docs (rheumatologist and ortho surgeon) wouldn't give me a straight answer about the fibro possibility. I am happy to say that I have had 2 days in a row w/o any hip pain! I've decided to keep a log of the pain to take to my 2 yr visit with my surgeon. Thanks for your responses.

georgia888 replied to Susanhavlicsek's response:
Doctors reactions vary when it comes to fibro. I've heard of both positive & negative surgery results on those with fibro. Keeping a log is a great idea. I'm thrilled that you're experiencing some pain-free days.

I highly recommend warm water pool therapy. I do this daily & it has greatly helped with pain & stiffness. Most in the pool suffer from osteoarthritis & all agree that it's the best medicine for the condition. One woman with oa of the spine was able to stop wearing a back brace that she'd worn for years after she started using the pool.

Good luck to you!
georgia

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center