Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Revision surgery.
Marimac801 posted:
Has anyone had a problem with revision surgery? Had my left knee done in 08 and it is good. Had right knee done in Jan. of 2011 and had to have a revision in August of 2011 because the cement came loose. Now, 7 months later, the cement has come loose again and have got to find out what is causing this to happe.

JanetPH responded:
I just had my second revision on 3/13 after having original replacement in '09, first revision 7/11. I will have to have the other one revised again if this one takes. My problem is my soft tissues aren't holding the parts in place. Are you seeing a "special needs" surgeon? I finally found one in my area and if this guy can't get it right no one can. Please let me know what happens.

from57 replied to JanetPH's response:
Was having the revision worth it? How long of a recovery?

JanetPH replied to from57's response:
Don't yet know. I had it done on 3/13, was in an immobilzer until 4/16 and am in a brace that only allows me to bend it 50 degrees. I get to add 10 degrees each week and return to doctor on 5/14. So they've "frozen" me to give the implant time to heal. They're saying my problem is laxity; my tissues are too loose and aren't holding the parts in place. They are forcing me to hold off and form scar tissues in the hopes that this one will stick. I'll keep you posted.

KevinHilton replied to JanetPH's response:
Sounds like you are having a problem with knee instability or "loose ligaments" having that specifically with loose parts. I'd be interested in what parts they actually used for your knee the second time if instability was your problem for the first revision. Need for revision comes in many varieties, and I would caution other readers from interpreting one member's problems to automatically transfer and describe their problem. I hope your recovery will be successful.

Marimac801 replied to JanetPH's response:
I am not familiar with a 'special needs' surgeon. Is there another term they use?

JanetPH replied to Marimac801's response:
Sorry, just now saw this! That's a term I coined for a surgeon who will revise others' work. Check with your physical therapist; they know who the best surgeons are.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center