Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kidney Biopsy/Low Platelets
nikluv21 posted:
Hey guys! How are you? Im wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with Low platelets. I was due for a kidney biopsy 6 weeks ago. When I got there, they took my blood and determined my platelets were like 44,000. They are supposed to be 150,000+ so they didnt do the biopsy for risk of bleeding. they did a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy to make sure i didnt have leukemia or any other blood disorders. They said everything was fine and it was the Lupus. So they put me on 60mg Prednisone ,did a test and the following week, my platelets wer e normal, next week after, they reduced my dosage to 40mg and did a test and my platelets were normal. i went 3 weeks with out blood test and went in the hospital for another biopsy this past Tues. Platelet s were 66,000, so procedure cancelled again! My nephrologist consulted with my hematologist and rheumatologist and i am on 80 mg prednisone now. I thought everything would be fine, cause im ready to get this biopsy over with. Has anyone else had this problem with their platelets? Maybe I need to be on a high dose to keep them at bay. I told the dr. I got a new batch of Prednisone and they were made by a different manufacturer. the new pills were smaller. Has anyone also every heard of companies making these meds and they arent as strong as they should be? Just curious. The last batch of pills were 60mg made me sick and made my glucose go up. this new batch im on is 80mg, but im not having the headaches i did when i took the other pills by the other company. Could this be in my head or am i used to the meds already? Im just trying to get everything out there to let you know what im thinking. Im also on Plaquenil once a day now instead of 2 cause they can cause platelets to be low as well so they reduced that.

Thanks so much and sorry so long Brandi

renalupie1 responded:
My mother had many many health issues. Including kidney failure and low platelets. When mom struggled with low platelets, we did not know she had lupus. She went through the bone marrow testing, etc. They did steroids for a long time to keep them up as well. What we found out was her spleen was eating up her platelets. After they removed it her blood levels went back to normal. That was back in the late 1990's. She saw a nephrologist for kidney failure for the first tme in 2001. She actually saw the dean of nephrology at a college hospital. What he told her doctor then was that the issues with her spleen were indicative of another autoimmune disorder. This did not get any attention from her doctor though so her lupus was never diagnosed until about a year or two before her death.

I would be talking to your doctor about an ultrasound or MRI of your spleen. It may be enlarged. That was our experience, it may not be your issue at all. But definately worth looking at.....

Rena

nikluv21 responded:
Thanks Rena. They asked me this week had i had an ultrasound or anything of my abdomen area etc. I said no. It may come to that since Ive been having symptoms of the low platelets for about a few months unknowingly, but the last 6 weeks its been diagnosed and been more of a problem. So he may go ahead and have me get that done. Cause he was just surprised that I was still having the prob. after tests showed the steroids were working. Thanks

Brandi

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.