Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Health Care Reform, how does it effect you?
Emma_WebMD_Staff posted:
For me, having health problems of my own, also having a child with a cleft lip, I am excited about the pre-existing condition clause. I find a lot of benefit to the new Health Care Reform, still some drawbacks to, but I think overall a good start.

What are your thoughts on Health Care Reform? Read our FAQ: How Health Care Reform Will Affect You? Tell me how you think it will be help you? What are some of the concerns you have about the new Health Care Reform?

debw216 responded:
Hi Emma!

Well, I think its a start. I worry though about my children. My daughter is 34 and the mother of 3. She lost her job of 10 years, last summer. She is living on unemployment and was able to get medicaid for the kids, but not for herself.

My son is 32 and lost his job last Oct, due to a back injury he suffered last summer. So, he is also on unemployment. He has been having to pay "out of pocket" for Dr visits, Rx and medical tests. He has to have an MRI of his lower back, and thankfully he was able to find a place that would do it for only $400.00, instead of the usual $2000.00 or so.

I read that the new reform should be implemented by the year 2014. And there are a few things that would start sometime this year. So, I am unclear if my children would qualify for medicaid this year, or do they have to wait til 2014? Am I reading this right? What do you think? Thank you for your time!!

Sincerely,
DebW

K2isKsquared responded:
$900 billion price tag. At our current national debt each American household owes over $80,000. I know my household can't afford $80,000. I can't imagine how we are going to afford nearly a trillion more.

As our nation piles on more debt, our currency will become devalued and the result will be runaway inflation. So everything we buy will cost more. That's going to affect me.

Meanwhile nothing in the health care bill was directed at cutting runaway medical costs.

Doctors still have no incentive not to order as many tests as they can -- and let's face it, they still have to in order to cover themselves for possible malpractice suits. Those malpractice suits cost me and you plenty of money, one doctor visit at at time -- what percentage of each doctor bill that we pay goes to line some lawyer's pocket? No tort reform means no way to control escalating medical costs.

There is a lot of complaining on this board about how long it takes to get an initial visit with a Rheumy. You think you can't get in to see your doctor now? Just wait until all the uninsured Americans get their insurance and start taking care of all their needs. Good for them; but with no additional doctors in the pipeline we can all just get used to being told the next available appointment date is sometime in November . . . of 2013.

And about that tax on so called "cadillac" insurance premiums? Some of us, who are really, really sick, get charged a higher premium. For some folks, that Caddy Tax will be a tax on the sickest, not just the richest. Also that tax is on a set premium amount, one that any of us could and probably will bump into in the next decade. It should be indexed somehow to the cost of living so that the base amount of the premiums to be taxed slide upwards as all premiums increase with inflation. But it's not.

Finally with our health care system unable to provide care for all of these new entrants, the net result will be rationed care. Just ask our Canadian friends who used to cross the border to be treated here. So the ultimate answer to how will this affect me? Fatally.

With too many patients and not enough medical care providers my life expectancy may be shortened, and I may very well die of something treatable -- but with no one available to treat it. Does anyone here remember our dear Cheeky One? Treatable cancer with no Canadian surgeon available in time. I have never felt so frustrated as I did over the needless loss of such a valuable young lady.

What do I think about the new Health Care Legislation? I think a great opportunity to fix what's wrong with our Health Care system was D.O.A. -- mortally wounded by political posturing.

K2

Emma_WebMD_Staff replied to debw216's response:
Deb sadly for your children they'll not have it until 2014, really the elderly are getting help with prescriptions and there are no more pre-existing conditions allowed anymore. Did you read the article I attached it talks a bit more about what happens now and what happens in 2014.

chrismcg responded:
hi miss emma- i for one am still up in the air as to this new bill-i lost my coverage when it was up for renewal after being diagnosed with lupus, then when i shopped around for a new carrier, the premiums were either astronomical or they wouldn't cover anything lupus related, then the economy tanked and i have no insurance at this point- as a self payer it's hard-i haven't been to my rheumy in almost 2 years, and i see a GP for bloodwork to try and stay on top of my disease-she's fine until i have a flare then it's hit or miss (like with my recent hive incident i posted about) we need the pre-existing condition clause done away with, we need tort reform too, we need insurance carriers / doctors to set pricing uniformly across the board- i'm not looking for free health care, i'm looking for FAIR health care- i work, pay taxes, try to be a good person, and i admit it's frustrating (hope i'm not whining) when i have to feed my kid macaroni for a week so i can get another visit to the doc in....chrismcg

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.