Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Surgey Thyroid nodules I have sle/ taking prednisone,Imuran, Naproxen Januvia
vegaslupie posted:
Is there anything specific I should look out for when I have this Surgery 6/15/2010 relative to possible complications. Would you recommend outpatient Surgery for me? Thyroid nodule and perhaps entire removal of the Thyroid. What precautions do you recomend during and after Surgery ? Thanks

I am 59 years old with mild diabetes type 2

Blood Test Listed below was performed by the Mayo Clinic Rochester,MN

ANA Titer positive= A 1:64 pattern speckled
ANA Pattern+ A Homogeeneous 1:32
Coments; Homogeneous,chromosome positive pattern is associated with dsDNA,ssDNA,histones, and LE cell antibody (DNP) and is seen with SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis subsets, (sm antigen)mixed connective tissue disease(RNP antigen)

Scleroderma or sjogrens syndrome(ssa and aab antigens)
Westergren Sedementation Rate 26

HG1948 responded:
I don't know anything about your question. However, if you don't receive the response you desire, try reposting your question on a different day.

Welcome to our little group.

HG

squirmy1963 responded:
Possibly see a hemotologist for blood disorders common in Lupus, these will be different tests. Mine discovered some clotting issues and other things, so when I have surgery I usually need shots, as well. The Rheumy's labs didn't show a couple new diseases. Ask your doctor about any change in medicines during your recovery. Take your medicines in bottles. Stay overnight if you can. Be sure your surgeon and anesthesiologist have all your information. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.

squirmy1963 replied to squirmy1963's response:
clarification, don't "take" your meds in bottles, pack your meds in there bottles. lol

Lupylisa44 responded:
If you are taking steroids, you will want to ask them for a "stress dose" before and maybbe even after surgery. I had surgery and they forgot it and I thought I was gonna die! I was on a very high dose at the time. Here is a link to find out more:

http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/medicine/residency//handouts/pharmpearls/Endocrine/SteroidsStressDose.pdf

Good luck with your surgery!!!

Lupylisa

vegaslupie replied to Lupylisa44's response:
Thank you so very much for responding to my pleas, I will follow your advice and make sure everyone realizes that I am a Lupie....lol

vegaslupie replied to HG1948's response:
Thank you for responding and I am glad I found this wonderful group!

vegaslupie replied to squirmy1963's response:
Thank you so much for your input and sugestions...I will follow all and try to remind all involved that I am a Lupie...lol

Thank you!!!!!

Thank you so much....I copied the iformation on the stress dose and will present it to the Surgeon PRIOR to the Surgery. Additionally; I am going to suggest inpatient admission to be on the SAFE side. Thanks to you I believe I will see my 60th birthday!!!LOL

Lupylisa44 replied to vegaslupie's response:
Welcome to the Wolfpack!!!

We're glad you are here!!! Anything you need to know, someone here will probably have the answer!!! I am glad you found us too!!!

Lupylisa

allie_bf responded:
I would not recommend this as outpatient, take as much time in the hospital as you are allowed. Sometimes respiratory distress can develop close to, or after, 24 hrs, and it's certainly better to be at the hospital should this arise. The risk of airway problems is more pertinent to a total thyroidectomy than a partial one. The other complication is having your calcium level drop to a point where you have symptoms so your doctor will probably check that after surgery, as well. Talk with your doctor to find out the extent of the surgery planned, and what his/her recommendations are.

vegaslupie replied to allie_bf's response:
Allie BF Thanks for your help. During the consultation with the Surgeon he advised that if he went in and found Cancer he would remove the entire thyroid and the Lymph Nodes. He stated he would not know until he went in. I am praying that he just has to remove the nodules and leaves the majority of the thyroid intack. I will call his office in the morning to share my apprehension and concern as it relates to Outpatient Surgery. I will share with you all the outcome.

Patientofmanydiagnosis responded:
I wish I could have responded sooner. I haven't been able to log in for a few days so of course you should have already had the procedure at this point.
I actually had my Thyroid removed a few years ago. I had 2 nodules on my Thyroid. They did end up being malignant so they took the whole Thyroid out but didn't have to take any lymph-nodes. 2 months later they stopped all my Synthroid medication so they could give me the 131 radiation pill that is suppose to kill any cancer nodules left in the body. That was a 2 or 3 night stay in the hospital. I think the surgical procedure was an overnighter. At this time you may not have a voice. I know I couldn't talk at first. Then I had a deep raspy voice (I actually got compliments that it was kinda sexier & I was almost hoping it would stay that way) but I think within a month my voice was back to normal. I myself do have a blood clotting factor 2ndary to my SLE so I always have to change my coumadine to lovenox shots & make sure everything is OK blood thin/thickness wise prior to any surgery. I can't really think of anything else I went through but if you come up with any other questions I might be able to answer. You can either post it on here or email me ezrasantiago@gmail.com
Hope this still helps even if it's late.

Staying Strong,

Ezra

P.S. I did use Vitamin E Oil like even better than Mederma Cream on my surgical scars that makes a big difference. My doctor was also smart to do the incision along the same crease area on the neck so it's not noticeable anymore.

vegaslupie replied to Patientofmanydiagnosis's response:
Thanks for the valuable information!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.