Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lupus and Menopause
squirmy1963 posted:
Long ago, when I got a second opinion to confirm SLE, that doctor told me that once I went thru menopause my Lupus would settle down.

That was not at all my experience so far. I continue to have new Lupus related diseases popping up, Anyone else heard of this?

HG1948 responded:
Squirmy,

I've heard about the relationship between female hormonal "shifts" associated with the onset of puberty, peri-menopause, and menopause. I could be wrong, but I remember the relationship being just the opposite?????

In real life, the onset of my symptoms occured when I was appox 38 years old. Well I'm now 61 and I honestly believe my body is "picking up new lupus related diseases", like it's trying to "win a contest of something!" LOL (:-)

I hope what is happening to the both of us is just the ebb and flow of lupus with periods of remission and periods of flares. The longest episode of symptom relief lasted almost one year!

I keep my hopes up by anticipating that the next episode of remission is just around the corner. Well, I will now also be thinking about you daily, when I focus on my bodies systems being renewed and functioning as they were designed to do so.

Hey, did your rheumy refer you to a nephrologist about your kidney problems?

HG

squirmy1963 replied to HG1948's response:
Thanks HG. I have not heard anything from my Rheumy about that. I see her on the 28th.

If there is something significant she always calls, but it was my primary that I saw, I left a message about it to my rheumy. I think I only had a slight level of protein, the primary didn't seemed too concerned, he was more confused about the odd gout attack.

Hey I read an article that there are now 3 other biomarkers to detect nephritis, not just protein. I read it in an online Lupus Magazine. I'll try to find it and post it for everyone.

Thanks for checking in on me, very sweet of you, thanks.

renalupie1 replied to squirmy1963's response:
nephritis is a very complex issue. You watch the level of protein, calcium, albumin, and something with the pituitary gland. When the kidneys are not functioning properly, the pituitary gland triggers to release the calcium out of the bones to support the system. Thus, changing the levels of calcium in the blood and urine. Wow, testing my memory here! Many people with kidney failure end up with brittle bones in the course of the disease. Often a patient will lose the calcium,and not even realize there is a kidney problem until it is too late.

Rena

renalupie1 replied to renalupie1's response:
Correction. Sorry, the fourth is creatinine. not the pituitary gland. although the activity of that is very important in the function of the body. But that was something else that was wrong with mom and i had to watch those labs too. Sigh.

Everything started to jumble together on me taking care of her. And now that I don't read labs every month, I tend to forget. maybe that is a good thing???

HG1948 replied to renalupie1's response:
Rena,

Forgetting the bad things of the past, is definiely a good thing. I am still having "flash backs" of the incredibly awful times associated with my mom's deteriorating medical condition. I am just getting to the point that I can remember good times with her. These good memories are gradually increasing as my memories of the awful times diminish.

Gentle hugs.

HG

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.