Skip to content
New here and need to ask
hisdestiny63 posted:
Hi:
I usually post on the bi-polar board but I do have a Lupus related question. I went to my pdoc appt on Tuesday and the Dr asked me if I realized that I had a Malar (butterfly) rash. I told her no, because I thought it was Rosecea. She said "no way is that Rosecea.". She ordered a whole bunch of labwork which I am getting done tomorrow. I went to a Rheumatologist on March 19 of this year and he did an ESR test on me. My result was a 37 which is high for me, (my range should be no more than 21). I did not have an ANA done. I will get the ANA and the RA factor tomorrow. My question is this, if I have at least 5 of the 11 factors that the Mayo Clinic uses to dx Lupus and my ANA comes back abnormal, does this mean I have Lupus? I definitely have the rash, severe fatigue, weight gain, swelling and pain in my hands, feet and ankles, and pain in my hips. I also have these tiny red dots all over my chest and legs and I read here on webmd that is also a symptom of Lupus.
Can someone please assist me in understanding all of this?
Thank you in advance!

Lupylisa44 responded:
Here are some websites I use on a regular basis to find information about lupus:

www.lupus.org

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/

http://www.lupusalliance.org/

http://www.aarda.org/

Lupylisa

jessi19661 responded:
Welcome, I am sorry to hear how u are feeling. I am new to "lupus info", etc, but you sound like you have many of the same symptoms I do. I had my doctor mention my malar rash much the same way yours did! wow.

I have not been diagnosed w lupus. UCTD-undifferentiated connective tissue disease is my diag. I would rather think that if u could not be diag w lupus, you probably could be with UCTD. The connective tissue diseases are rheumatoid arthritis, lupus (sle), and scleroderma, so UCTD says that you have features of more than one of those but not the "classical" clinical presentation. I always test neg or normal on most things assoc with my diseases, but there is obviously some disease processes going on.

Anyway, welcome to the group, and many people here have a lot of knowledge, and kindness. Take care.

HG1948 responded:
Dear Hisdestiny,

Hon, I don't know what your diagnosis is. The diagnosis of lupus is made using laboratory results along with your doctor's observations and your history. There is no "cut and dry" recipe. There are over 100 autoimmune disorders, lupus is just one. Lupus can also mimics many other non-auto immune diseases because it can affect any of the bodies organ systems.

I was at first diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, then fibromyalgia, epstine barr virus re-activation, plus ...blah, blah, blah.......(:-) When I was diagnosed with lupus, I asked my rheumatologist "...were all the other diagnosis I'd been given wrong?" She said "No, the lupus was just there all along with the other medical problems...you still have all of them."

While awaiting a diagnosis, please feel comfortable just hanging out here with us. There are a lot of people in exactly the same situation as yourself. They are awaiting a diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Lupylisa, gave you some really great reference.

Pleased to meet you.
HG

HG1948 replied to HG1948's response:
Hisdestiny,

I forgot to give you another link. This is the link to the Lupus Foundation of America's web site. This is their list of common symptoms associated with lupus.

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_learndiagnosing.aspx?articleid=2241&zoneid=524

HG

squirmy1963 responded:
hi and welcome. Your doctor will explain all this, and he will be able to diagnose you with certainty after the lab results come back. He already suspects Lupus, you have the signs and symptoms. The labs will verify or rule out this disease. Keep posting and let us know how things go. We learn from eachother here and also comfort and support eachother. It's a very good forum. Glad you found us. Tina

K2isKsquared responded:
Welcome hisdestiny63. I hope your upcoming labs give you some better answers.

The malar rash and rosecea are easily confused.

It is atypical for a lupus patient to gain weight -- a more typical sign of disease activity is weight loss as we simply don't feel like facing a plate of food. After Lupus is dxed and we are started on meds (like steriods) then it is more typical to see weight gain.

Joint pain is typical with lupus, and the hands, feet, and ankles are frequent targets; but again this symptom is not specific to lupus and can be part of other diseases.

ANA is a test for autoimmunity, and Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis are both autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune thyroid disease and other autoimmune diseases can also cause a positive ANA. A positive ANA does not necessarily mean you have Lupus, but it is one of the factors in deciding a diagnosis.

RA factor is a test for Rheumatoid Arhtritis, but 30% of RA patients test negative for RA factor, so again clear intelligence is not obtained from this lab test alone and RA is also diagnosed by physical examination and X-rays which can reveal damage specifically associated with RA.

I'm afraid all this will not help a lot in understanding these diseases. They are difficult to diagnose because we don't yet have a single, definitive lab test for them.

Good Luck and Keep Posting!

K2

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.