Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Plaquinel changes hair color?
K2isKsquared posted:
I have a friend who was recently put on Plaquinel for suspected Lupus. She went to the salon yesterday to have her roots touched up. Same color as they have used for years, but instead of the usual dark brunette, her roots turned red.

Anyone have any knowledge of whether Plaq can change hair color?

Thanks,

K2

Lupylisa44 responded:
Hi K2!

Plaquenil can change the pigmentation in the skin, so it would stand to reason that it can do the same with hair.

I have experienced the change in pigmentation on my legs. It looks like I have a huge bruise on the back of my leg which extends from the calf to the ankle. I call it a perma-bruise. I don't think I have noticed any hair color changes, but I have been on plaquenil for 26 years, and I highlight my hair. I don't know if I know what my real haircolor is anymore!

Most of the websites on plaquenil list hair loss/color change as a side effect:

http://www.rxlist.com/plaquenil-drug.htm

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6986-Plaquenil Oral.aspx?drugid=6986&drugname=Plaquenil Oral

Lupylisa

K2isKsquared replied to Lupylisa44's response:
Thanks for the info & websites, Lisa.

Roger that on the pigment changes. I have some big brown spots on the side of my face / neck and a couple on my arms.I knew they were from the Plaq. O' the joy.

btw I was unsuccessful in halving my Plaq dose. My RA came back in my wrists within 3 weeks of dropping to 200mg. And the fatigue came back to.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly one can go downhill without this med, but it takes sooooooooooooooo freakin long for it to build up in the body and help. I'm back on 400 mg and I'm sticking to it :-)

Take care,

K2

jessi19661 replied to K2isKsquared's response:
Hey K2! I am sorry to hear you couldnt go down on ur plaq. I also wish I could go off of it!! My rheummy commented last visit that it is a good thing I am on plaquenil, or I would be a lot worse off!! Poo!

I read somewhere just the other day plaq can change/affect haircolor. I cant remember where I read it. Just thought I'd let ya know. I color my hair, cuz I dont like yukky brown hair with grey mixed in!! I prefer blonde! ;)

kducks replied to K2isKsquared's response:
So true K2! I tried to come off the plaq completely a few years ago and boy oh boy did I feel it. They had to give me pain meds, which I haven't had to take for years until the plaq took affect again! I never thought of the plaq changing the pigmentation of my hair, but like you I have some dark spots on my face from years of plaq use. Glad that the plaq is helping you out too, here's hoping that one day we will be able to come off of it completely.

Hugs,
Kim

K2isKsquared replied to kducks's response:
Hey Kim! Great ta see ya posting! I love your picture . . . is that a black cat with a Rabbit??!!! Nothing but love, right?!

HG1948 replied to K2isKsquared's response:
Ditto!!!

HG

peterpan1972 responded:
K2, I know that plaquenil can change both eye and skin color. I have more frequent eye exams than most lupus patients on plaquenil due to inherited cataracts and glaucoma, When my eyes are examined by my opthamologist for ANY changes, he also looks for change in eye color. My dermatologist gave me the reason, when asked, why my skin was turning a dark gray. (I was really kind of worried), she replied "Side effect of the Plaquenil". I have been on plaquenil at least 12 years. It was a gradual change that I first thought was just dead skin that needed the loofa. Needless to say that made dry skin worse, so don't try that. I use a lotion (the generic) called Lac-Hydrin. It also comes in a thicker cream form for elbows, knees, heels, etc. peterpan1972 (formerly peterpan 1950--system kept me out for awhile telling me thst I wasn't me).

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.