Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Lupus and sweating everyday
mom1dukes posted:
I am just wondering if any of you have ever experienced body sweats during the day and evening, already had a hystercomy (spelling) over 12 years ago, then my calves and feet become really cold..it is really bugging me, then all my joints in my whole body start hurting...
FirstPrevious12NextLast

K2isKsquared responded:
I have had body sweats, and I think for two different reasons.

The first was directly related to Lupus. When I got sick I ran low grade fevers (99 - 101 degrees). What that meant in "real world" terms is that I was freezing cold all of the time. I was NEVER warm. I could be under a flannel sheet with two blankets and a comforter and be shaking cold -- and I could still break a sweat. But I was so cold that even sweating I wouldn't dare remove the covers -- or my sweat shirt or my sweat pants. If that is what you are experiencing -- I think it's Lupus.

Now for my second experience with sweats. Fast forward 14 - 15 years and I am now in menopause. I am still cold -- usually. But when the sweats start I now throw off the comforter and two blankets and I run a fan to cool off. The hot flash for me lasts 3 minutes. Then I'm back to feeling cold.

My experience with both is that my joints ache. My arthritis just aches from the very bones and it comes from the inside out. It doesn't seem to matter if it's Lupus, hormones, or just cause it's below freezing outside . . . my joints/bones on the inside are cold and achey, so I want them covered up and snuggly as often as I can cover and snuggle them.

I don't know that my post will be very helpful to you. The bottom line is I feel your cold, and your pain.

good luck,

K2

accep10s responded:
I'm waiting on my blood work to come back for the official diagnosis but, I think I'm a definite for Lupus. For the past few months I've been having sweats that start with heat in my upper back, neck and head that end up with a fine film of sweat all over and my head starts dripping sweat. Then, I get chills and shivers that make me get under a blanket until the heat comes back and the blanket comes flying off.
Don't know if that helps, but I hope so.

rosehurts replied to accep10s's response:
Be sure to let us know about the blood test results, ok? We are all in this together. About sweating, my lupus and early menopause all sort of were diagnosed around the same time. I am 61 and my lupus symptoms began when I was 38 and I am still having night sweats similar to those described above..wake up dripping in my jams...non stop joint pain, for sure.

This morning, I took my injured left foot to the podiatrist. She is wonderful and said that it is worse than what the ER doc indicated. Probable crushed tiny bones that do not show up on the initial xray, plus sprained ankle...so I am in a post-op boot...big and black...goes with everything and so attractive ...on the right big toe, had to have in the office surgery to fix an ingrown toenail, so it looks like a big purple tootsie pop! haha

My best wishes for everyone to just take one day at a time...so important and easy! Don't take on tomorrow or the entire rest of your life...just do today. That's an order!

luv,
rose

paridise responded:
I have body sweats at night and also during the day. The least little thing I do around the house will cause me to sweat. I also can not take the heat outside. I also will have chills, joint pain, run a low grade fever and then will start to sweat. Hope this helps.

healrecipes replied to paridise's response:
yess its artifical menopause involving,for anti-sweat try use bark oak baths warm for 10 min.

iluvdachs replied to healrecipes's response:
I sweat terrible from lupus, Im 45 they checked to see if I was starting Menopause and they said NO so it must be my Lupus, I am really interested in this Bark Oak bath, could you tell me more? Thanks! Iluvdachs

kducks responded:
I had what was a sweating then chills episode for months on end when I was very sick. I would get the sweats to where the sweat was literally pouring off of me, then not that long after I would get the chills. Sevre chills to the point my teeth would chatter, my body would shake and I could not get warm for the life of me. My rheumy always chalked it up to the lupus and my body trying to sweat the disease out of me. Once I got my lupus more under control and my blood counts up, the episodes went away. I never found out for sure what caused it but the lupus seems to make weird things happen to out bodies all the time.

Hugs,
Kim

prettysmile31 responded:
yes all the time so sick of it it started when got on all the meds im taking.

ronielongoria responded:
Hi..Yes I have had lupus since I was 23 and I am 39 now. I started sweating about one year ago mainly during the day and it never stops!! I am too young for menopause so I know thats not it. It almost always pours from my head..and its very frustrating. I have looked on Lupus web site...lupus foundation of america and it states it is a sign and symptom of lupus but doesn't really say why...I have horrible leg spasms that started a few months ago. I try to drink a lot of fluids but doesn't seem to help and I'm sure I am losing a lot of potassium the way I sweat...Its definitly a problem I wish they would study more...

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR replied to ronielongoria's response:
Sweating is a really terrible symptom of lupus. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It is seen commonly in lupus for many reasons:
1. The autonomic nervous system, which controls involuntary actions such as your heart beating, breathing etc. is affected by the cytokine imbalance. This leads to abnormal signalling to the sweat glands.
2. Low grade fevers due to lupus can result in sweting.
3. Hormonal issues are common in lupus and imbalance in thyroid hormone, sex hormones can result in sweating.
4. Certain infections that lupus patients are prone to can cause sweating.

A thorough work up to rule out some of these causes should be done by your physician. If you are diagnosed with sweating due to autonomic dysfunction, certain medications such as gabapentin, tricyclic's, or SSRI's can help. Hope this helps.

K2isKsquared replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
Thank you Dr. Venuturupalli.

That was very interesting to learn there are so many possibilities for a lupus patient to be sweating.

K2

anowlin responded:
As a matter of fact, YES. It was so horrible and well-after my hysterectomy, but all the docs could woud, say was to inlued mre plant sterols in my diet..

EVERYTHING I owned was soaked by 10 AM, so I'd shower to frehen up; by the time I was dry from the bath water, I was soaked. It did go away, but not without YEARS of idripping!

leecat41 responded:
I have been freezing for the last year. From my knees down and my hands will be ice cold every day (if they ever do get warm they turn blood red and swell). I get so cold that I shake uncontrollably. So I cover up with everything imaginable and try to get warm. At some point, during my sleep, I get so hot that I wake up sweating. I get up and change clothes and go back to bed freezing. This has been a non-stop process and no one has ever mentioned that it could be lupus-related. But it's nice to know that I'm not crazy!!
To do what is right is not always easy, to do what is easy is not always right.

rosewios replied to paridise's response:
I also have body sweats and chills. They started before I was ddiagnosed with lupus. I thought I was going nuts. Now it all makes sense. I never run fevers, but I do have all the other symptyms.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

IE Fix for Picture Cropping
We've found that some of our Members using Internet Explorer have issues with cropping images. If you're trying to crop your profile image ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.