Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
DID YOU KNOW....?
Lupylisa44 posted:
did you know that a generic medicine can vary in efficacy from the original brand name drug from between 80%-125%? And different generic brands of the same drug can vary widely as well?
So, if you take one generic brand that is 20% less effective than the brand AND then if the pharmacy switches manufacturers (of the generic version of the same medicine) it can be 25% stronger than the brand. Therefore, it is plausible that... there can be a 45% variation between the two generic versions of the same medicine.

Also the non-proprietary ingredients differ greatly, which can affect how the drug is metabolized in the body.

To me that is pretty far from the claim that generics are " the same."

Lupylisa

Take the Poll

Do you think generic drugs are just as good as the brand?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Sometimes, but not always
  • other...please explain
vote
View Poll Results

David Zelman, MD responded:
Your points are well taken

Lupylisa44 replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Dr Zelman:

Do you have any opinion about, or, have any experience with, generic form of Cellcept?

Lupylisa

David Zelman, MD replied to Lupylisa44's response:
will inquire about whether my patients are getting this. I did have one patient who complained about the switch owing to "funny taste"

K2isKsquared responded:
Since they put me on generic Synthroid it's been a MESS! Every time I get a three month refill it's a crap shoot on whether there is too much or too little med in there -- even though I'm supposed to be getting 175 mcg.

I'm either too drag butt tired or else I'm having arrhythmia from too much. I think the FDA should hold generic drugs to a standard, a specific measurable standard and if the med goes outside a certain variance it shouldn't be able to call itself "generic."

K2

K2isKsquared responded:
Since they put me on the generic version of Synthroid it has been a MESS! Every three months when I get a refill I'm either too drag butt tired from to little or having arrhythmia from too much dosage, yet I'm supposed to be getting 175 mcg each time. I think the FDA should hold generic accountable to a specific standard, and if the med is outside the accepted variance, it can't be a generic.

I've also had problems with generic Plaquinel. Not from the dose but from a tolerance standpoint. Sometimes it gets filled by a company I have no problems with. Sometimes it gets filled by a generic that leaves me hugging the john for the next three months and praying for a different provider on the next batch.

K2

K2isKsquared replied to K2isKsquared's response:
sorry about the double post. I thought WEB MD lost my first one.

K2

Lupylisa44 replied to K2isKsquared's response:
Can't you have your doctor write DAW on your Synthroid script? My doctor insists that I take the brand name and medicare has no problem with filling it as such.

Lupylisa

allie_bf replied to Lupylisa44's response:
MCR may dispense it that way, but commercial health plans frequently dictate that generics be used (even when the doctor writes for brand name.) There may be a higher copay for brand name, or the plan may simply refuse to fill with the brand name version, depending on the pharmacy benefit manager's contract. I've not had problems with the thyroxine equivalents, but the Plaquenil substitutes seem to vary more widely. Upon hearing K2's tale, perhaps I should be grateful that my issues are more dose-related, and not GI upset.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.