Skip to content
Did anyone see Lupus on "The Good Wife" last night? Dr Z, can you help with this?
lupylisa44 posted:
In part of the court testimony, one of the medical experts said that the male defendant, who had lupus, was a certain blood type. When evidence of another blood type was found at the crime scene, that same expert said that is was possible for the defendant's blood type to have changed because of the medications he was taking for lupus.

I have never heard of this. I thought the only way to change a person's blood type was by a stem cell or bone marrow transplant.

So I was curious: is it posible for medication to change a person's blood type?

Lupylisa

K2isKsquared responded:
Good question. Sounds like possible TV b.s. to me. I've never heard of anything that can change a person's blood type.

I'm type A. Both of my parents are type O. My mom freaked out when I gave blood and my card came back showing I was A. She thought an O and an O had to produce another O. Her response? "I assure you that you are your father's child."

Fortunately the explanation was on hand via dominant and recessive genes.

LOL

K2

Amandamanda replied to K2isKsquared's response:
You're cracking me up K2!

I'd have to agree that such a claim sounds like some good drama. I did look it up, and from what I can find, someone has a good imagination.

Amanda

ok3900 responded:
I saw this episode too. My husband freaked out. I told him it was another unfortunate piece of misinformation about lupus. Sheesh I hope I'm right:)

lupylisa44 replied to ok3900's response:
I think you are right! how can someone bleed one type of blood all over the place the one drop of that blood is a totally different type! It just stupidity on the writers' part! I like shows that actually do the research and fact checking.

Lupylisa

jeanjennifer responded:
Below is a link to the best answer I could find.

Here.

An_206386 replied to K2isKsquared's response:
I hate to tell you but O is recessive. You can only get O blood type from parents that are both O.

[a name=Possible/Impossible>Parents'
[a name=Possible/Impossible>Blood Types

Possible
Children

Impossible
Children

A & A
A, O
B, AB
A & B
A, B, AB,O
none
A & AB
A, B, AB
O
A & O
A, O
B, AB
B & B
B, O
A, AB
B & AB
A, B, AB
O
B & O
B, O
A, AB
AB & AB
A, B, AB
O
AB & O
A, B
AB, O
O & O
O
A, B, AB

HansGruber replied to An_206386's response:
High school Genetics, also tell you that two blue-eyed parents can only produce blue-eye offspring- BUT in reality Genetics can be more complicated - two blue-eyed parents can produce browned offspring and two O parents can also produce A, or B since there are other factors in gene expression. There are collateral genes that can affect expression on certain circumstances.
That is why people need to read beyond wiki-pedia and basic high school or college science

realoreo54 replied to lupylisa44's response:
are you lupylisa who was on web md years ago? i am realoreo or deb;maybe you remember me?

my e-mail is realoreo@hotmail.com

lupylisa44 replied to realoreo54's response:
Hey oreo!!! I am in fact Lupylisa from the old days!! good to see you posting!!!

I started a facebook group with all of us oldies. Are you on facebook? send me an email at lupylisa@yahoo.com and give me your fb id and I will send you the link,

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

tina78 replied to An_206386's response:
I am not sure what blood type my daughter's father has..but i am A and she IS O
i guess sometimes the recessive genes are stronger.
she also has blue eyes, both of us have brown/hazel.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.