Hi, i'm a 40 yr old female, i just found out i have lupus, i have question i pray someone can help me!
momauntb posted:
for the past year my teeth are getting very bad, just today at dinner,eat a soft dinner roll 2 teeth broke off at the root(mention how embarassing at a resterant with my family), could the lupus be part of the reason why this is happening?
HELP PLEASE!

K2isKsquared responded:
Welcome Momauntb,

This could be Lupus related. One possible cause is Secondary Sjogren's Syndrome, which is a common sidecar with Lupus. In Sjogren's the immune system attacks our moisture producing glands: tear ducts, salivary glands, and it can cause dryness for women in the downstairs department.

Symptoms of Sjogren's include dry eye and dry mouth. Saliva has helpful bacteria that protect our teeth and keep them healthy, so chronically dry mouth can result in tooth decay.

I would mention that you have Lupus to your dentist and see what he thinks could be going on.

Good Luck,

K2

momauntb replied to K2isKsquared's response:
thank - you very much, very helpful to me!
God Bless

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi,
Welcome! I have the same problem. I have had close to 20 cavaties in the past year and numerous teeth have been breaking - in fact, just two teeth broke yesterday and I wasn't even eatting anything!

K2 is right that it's probably Sjogren's related - that's what they think for me, because I also have trouble swallowing and have lost my sense of smell and taste awhile back.

Hang in there and I hope you got good dental insurance! :)

Lisa

rumfar6 replied to K2isKsquared's response:
Hey K2,

Do you also have dry nose with Sjogen's? Recently I have a dry mouth, dry crusty eyes and my nose is really dry (almost painfully so). I also have problems with my teeth. I mentioned the fact that I have lupus to my Dentist and she was reluctant to think that the lupus was the cause of my dental problems.

Momauntb,

If you find out from your dentist or doctor anything different, please share. Good Luck

momauntb replied to rumfar6's response:
thanks to you all! i now know i'm not the only one,plus i didn't mention i have cancer to with lupus, R.A. and ya i have ok dental insurance. it just so embarassing! and the dry,mouth,nose ,eys etc. really was very helpfull,trying to understand so much is not easy, when trying to family members to understand what all i going through hasn't been very easy! so thanks to you all
God Bless

jessi19661 replied to momauntb's response:
I have lupus and have had recurrent tooth decay, I have lost a lot of teeth. I got a partial at age 35. Now I have the one back tooth it uses as an anchor has broken off. I have had it filled 3 times in 10 years, even though I knew the tooth was dead, just to keep any teeth I can.

I am almost 44 now and need a new partial, and several teeth have cavities that are visible on front teeth. A lot of times people get decay, but not at the gum line and below. That is pretty much caused by being a drug addict or a disease process that robs your teeth of calcium.

Do your best to floss everyday...(I dont and I should!!) But try, it is better than brushing. They say nowdays that if your only gonna do one, dont brush, just floss!

And follow your dentist advice. Autoimmune conditions are definaely associated with tooth and gum disease. Mine is diagnosed as recurrent decay. I also have ulcers, and throwing up frequently (for any reason, add migraines for me) over 20 years also is very bad for teeth. On, and on, etc

Glad you found us!! ;)

K2isKsquared replied to rumfar6's response:
Rumfar,

I don't know the answer to that one.

I know that one treatment for Sjogren's is to plug the tear ducts -- trying to retain eye moisture by stopping the tears from draining -- and a common side effect of that procedure is dry nose because tears drain into the nose.

Whether dry eyes which wouldn't drain much anyway can cause that on it's own? I don't know but could be?

Did you mention Sjogren's to your dentist? She may be more familiar with that disease's effects on the mouth, and she might not know that many Lupus patients also have Sjogren's?

K2

daralynn22 replied to rumfar6's response:
It sure seems to me that doctors do not want to recognize anything outside their level of expert ability...and they just pass you off. Of corse it seems to all be connected. I have been trying for years to get one of my doctors to give a hoot...all I know is I luckily do not have the dry mouth or tooth decay...anyway it hasn't started yet. I wish you all the luck in the world...I now realize I am on a harder journey with this disease than I originally thought.

squirmy1963 replied to K2isKsquared's response:
I would take a good guess that you also have severe sjogren's. I have broke a few teeth eathing oatmeal. Doctors put me on, Salagen for the severely driy mouth and eyes. Systane eye drops daily sometme Restasis and a steroid drop and Biotene toothpaste for dry mouth. Drink lots of water, and see your eye and dentist often, like every sic months. All the best to you. Oh, in winter I use a humidifier near my bed and oil body after shower. If Saliva glands are swollen and not functioning, the Salagen will help, but water intake is a must.