Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest Pain
AJSCMMG posted:
I have been diagnosed with lupus for five years. Originally attacking joints and lungs, recently attacking kidneys. Things seem to be under control. I am on 5 mg pred, plaqunil and cell cept. My blood pressure has been getting higher, so yesterday, my rheumy moved me down from three to two cell cept a day. BUT I have had chest pains for a few months. I did the heart/sonogram test to make sure there was no fluid around my heart and everything looked good. My whole left side hurts at times, but particularly around my heart AND sometimes it hurts on the right side as well. I am fine with the pain as long as it is nothing serious...so just curious what others have experienced. Thanks in advance for your help!

pugpuppy responded:
Hi, sorry you are not feeling well:o(
Are you maybe haveing anxiety attacks? maybe from the stress of the pain? maybe ask your Dr. about this I had simular problems a while back and the Dr. put me on Diazapan (spelling) and I just took them when I needed them, it helped alot.
I hope you feel better soon
waves of hugs,
pugpuppy

lupylisa44 responded:
Hi and Welcome!!!

You could possibly be suffering from costochondritis which causes chest pain. The first time I had an issue with it, I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack!!! My ribs actually pop out of the socket in the sternum. I have since learned how to pop them back in!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

Lupylisa

Laimite responded:
Before I knew I had lupus, I suffered from chest pain. I had a bunch of tests done on my heart and my spine and my doc couldn't find anything wrong with it. I was a senior in college so he just told me that it's probably due to stress. I continued suffering from pain for months. A lot of times I thought that I was having small heart attacks...my chest hurt mostly around my heart area but eventually it hurt on the right side as well and it shot pain to my back. My heart rate was abnormally high too even when I was resting which was very unusual for me, since I was a collegiate runner and my specialty was long distance. Long story short, after I got diagnosed with lupus, first thing my rheumatologist did was ordered a CAT scan for my chest. Turned out I had blood clots in my lungs. They were very small but big enough to cause a lot of pain, anxiety, and shortness of breath. I would recommend you to call your doctor ASAP and ask him to order a CAT scan. You might need to go on blood thinners. It's common to have 'aggressive' blood with lupus. I hope this helps... feel better!

allie_bf responded:
After having had a few pericardal effusions, I can say that the pain is much worse when the fluid is almost all gone. There was remarkably little or no pain when the fluid was at its peak. I wonder if you had fluid around your heart at one point, but the timing of the ultrasound missed it because it was almost resolved. It generally took me about 3 months for the chest pain to wind down afterwards. Prednisone and/or NSAIDs (and time) are the appropriate treatment for post-effusion pericarditis so you would be on the right track...if that was the issue. Of course, if you are having severe pain, you would have to look further because pericarditis would be mild/moderate inflammatory pain.

prettysmile31 responded:
got diagnosed with lupus back in april and mine actually started with chest pain and has not went away i have pain every day of my life and it attacks my joints and lungs it has been easy,but i have support from my big sis and my mom, some friends.but im am going to the same thing.

tek092 responded:
I have suffered from the same symptoms and had stress tests and ekg and a heart cath done and nothing. The pains lasted for over 5 years and no one could figure it out...didn't know what caused it. One side of my heart was enlarged but I don't remember which side. Then my pc doc set me up with a sleep study. They said I have sleep apnea and set me up with a CPAP machine. I thought the were nuts because I couldn't see what that had to do with chest pains. She said that your heart isn't getting rest while you're sleeping if you keep waking up and over time it will cause an enlargement. All I know is I used the CPAP for about 6 months and my chest felt much better. Still have lupus, but at least I don't think I'm having a heart attack every week.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.