Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Carpal Tunnel
rodis posted:
I have now been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel in both hands..........and there is really no mechanical reason why I now have this. Is there a connection with Lupus and Carpal Tunnel????

K2isKsquared responded:
I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. My RA did cause carpal tunnel. In carpal tunnel the nerve in the wrist get's compressed. In my case the problem wasn't repetitive motion but it got compressed by the swelling and fluid in my wrists.

When we got my RA under control my carpal tunnel disappeared. I would suppose the swelling from lupus arthritis could cause a similar issue, but I don't know for sure.

I wore wrist splints which did help some with the pain.

K2

David Zelman, MD responded:
I agree with K2

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Rodis,

I did a little research and found this article, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - What Increases Your Risk, that goes right along with what K2 and Dr. Zelman have said:

"Carpal tunnel syndrome can result from any combination of health conditions and physical activities that increase pressure on the median nerve as it passes through the wrist. Risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome include:
  • Health problems or illnesses that can cause arm pain, swelling in the joints and soft tissues in the arm, or reduce the blood flow to the hands. These include obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, lupus, hypothyroidism, and multiple sclerosis."
You can read the full article for more info. Here's another one that explains Joint Function and Lupus that you might find interesting, too.

klkteacher responded:
I was also just diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel an it was not from repetitive motion. I have SLE, RA, and Sjogren's Syndrome. What ever happed with you?

nancyj95 replied to klkteacher's response:
I was diagnosed with it before my Lupus diagnosis and as soon as they got me onto Medrol, the carpal tunnel disappeared. I still have problems when I am in a flare, but nothing like before steroids.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.