Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
chest pains
pugpuppy posted:
Hi hope all are well tody.
I have been hurting today with pains in the left side of my chest,it is the muscles in my chest and in my neck, sholder. I have to take short breaths it hurts for sure. I looked on line sounds like it could be pleurisy but who knows all I know is it hurts like pooh for sure.
I have been putting a heating pad on it and bengay it seems to help some. I read on web md that it can be the muscles around the lungs. I don't have any conjestion so maybe thats it, hope its gone by the morning it would be nice to get some stuff done .
hugs,love and light to all

Lupylisa44 responded:
I am sorry you are in pain!!! If you suspect pleurisy you might want to see the doctor and get a chest x-ray just to be safe!

Feel better!!!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

pugpuppy replied to Lupylisa44's response:
well i made myelf lay flat and strech my chest flat OMG!!!!!!!!!!! it hurt so bad but it felt like all the muscles in my chest were being streched like a rubber band. I am not sure what is going on.

I am wondering if maybe from protecting my surgery area and i sleep curled up on my side caused it ,my chest doesn't feel congested so i don't know it hurts but not as bad. I do know its not any good being like this.
Hope you all had a wonderful day.
hugs

Lupylisa44 replied to pugpuppy's response:
When you lay flat, does it hurt up your neck and shoulder area as well as your chest? It is possible that you may have a pleural effusion which definitely needs medical attention!!! Probably not what you wanted to hear, but don't let it go too long!

I have had two of them and both times the pain was close to unbearable when I would lay down, the first one I had I couldn't even get horizontal if I wanted to!

I sure hope you feel better in the morning!

Lupylisa

I did not want to hear that, and yes it does hurt in my neck and sholders but I only hurt there isn't any feeling in my lungs like a cold would that matter?
I was on the web md and looked up pleural effuusion and I don't want that at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Lupylisa44 replied to pugpuppy's response:
A pleural effusion is fluid btwn the lungs and chest wall, so the fluid is not in the lungs. It's not something you should mess around with. If you have one it needs to be treated or it could get a lot worse and cause other complications.

Are you going to go to the doctor?

Lupylisa

good morning sweet lisa, I don't seem to hurt as much this morning but it didn't yesterday morning eather, then as the day went on it hurt a little worse so I don't know it could be just muscles. I do not know if there are glands rite above the coler bone but I am puffy there on both sides I had this befor the pain started, maybe this is something different.
I will go to the Dr. if it starts to get worse today I have to wait until my hubby gets home from work, but I won't let it go past then, I have had a raspy voice, it was like that after the surgery and I feel a little raspy in my lungs but not tight. i wonnder if the trake tube eritated my brocial tubes. i don't know I will keep you posted on how I feel. Thank you so much for all the info and for the posts back sweet lisa.;o)

waves of hugs
There cannot be a crissis next week. My schedule is already full. Henry Kissinger

jessi19661 replied to pugpuppy's response:
Hi Pugpuppy! I think you should just go to the Dr. or ER if you have good health coverage where you can. It sounds like me last week, I have had this over a month and because of the muscular pain I waited to get treated. I had to go to ER, it was intolerable by then. I almost had pneumonia. It was bronchitis. I had to have breathing treatment, that helped some, then steroid injection. She was concerned it was a lupus flare. The steroid helped tremendously. Chest Xray said no pneumonia. But I had pleurisy also. I had to take antibiotics and up my prednisone, and I am still up. Also 2 inhalers, I have asthma. But the pain in your muscles is due to the difficulty and tightness in your chest, trust me. You probably need a diuretic also if you are real puffy. I do also, and it helps sooooooooo much. I also just had surgery like you, gyn surgery....no period since!! ;) Hugs, let us know how you are later. Getting treatment would probably be best at ER, come to think of it, because they will probably order a chest xray, and breathing treatment...sometimes they dont have that at office, but maybe at an urgent care center. Be sure to tell the doctor and the nurse you have lupus--first off. This helped me because she knew not to dot all her I's and cross all her t's could be really bad for me since I am already sick. ;)

pugpuppy replied to jessi19661's response:
Hi all I felt pretty good today, seemed to let up a bit but then I sat and watched tv and feel tight again, not bad but still I am goingto all the Dr. in the morning. i don't seem to be puffy and my chest doesn't seem full but I could be wrong. I am calling first thing in the morning. I love how its like family here;o).
P.S. the Dr is at the Hosp. so x-rays are rite there.
waves of hugs
There cannot be a crissis next week. My schedule is already full. Henry Kissinger

squirmy1963 replied to pugpuppy's response:
I was told by a doctor that in women, a heart attack isn't as painful as the well known left arm stuff. For women it is more often a tightness and discomfort. For your own peace of mind, get it checked out quickly. All the best to you.

pugpuppy replied to squirmy1963's response:
went to the Dr. today all seems ok he said to call if any other problems came up, but checked everthing and said al seems ok. I will call him or go to the hosp. if things act up again.
waves of hugs

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.