Skip to content
update on my back issue
squirmy1963 posted:

They are calling within two weeks to give me the exact date for surgery. Probably early Jan.

I am getting a new artificial spine disk, with a titanium plate in front with 4 screws and a titanium plate in back with 2 screws. I will have an incision in the front lower abdomen and also in lower back. The cushiony disk that should be between L5 and S1 is completely shot. Surgeon said it is "bone on bone".

The cause is from Lupus inflammation in other parts of my body, putting extra strain on tendons and ligaments in lower back. Not from an injury,as i first thought. (remember the dogs hurled me down the deck stairs?)

O.K. now about the Lupus blood disorders, after testing and retesting, we got down to the nitty gritty of the anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome. This term covers a lot of different disorders that all but one cause clots. I have the anti-cardiolipid, risk of clots. And the one and only phospholipid that causes excessive bleeding, the anti-prothrombin anti-body. They only know of a couple of cases where someone has both at the same time. My Hemo is going to be on hand during the surgery and is ordering a special medicine that will stop the bleeding, if that happens. Having extra blood on hand will NOT help, it takes a medicine that sounded like rhfactor something? something?. And I'll start the Lovenox shots and continue 325 mg. aspirin daily to avoid clots.

I was nervous, but after seeing the docs today, they have all bases covered, and they don't foresee any problems for me, just that I will feel much better in 3-4 months. I will be able to play with grandson Gabe, when they visit end of January, if I sit on floor and not twist, bend or lift.

Well, so much for this episode in my Lupus Saga.

pugpuppy responded:
I bet you will feel better after they do the surgery;o) and I bet you can't wait to have it done.
The blood problems is that commen for lupus patients? I have not ever herd of it.
waves of hugs
There cannot be a crissis next week. My schedule is already full. Henry Kissinger

jessi19661 responded:
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY BEST OF LUCK TO YOU DEAR--YOU MUCH DESERVE SOME RELIEF!!!!!!

WHAT A GREAT PERSON HERE TO HELP ALL OF US, WHILST IN SOOO MUCH STRUGGLE HERSELF!!!!!!

WOW!! hUGGYS!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.