Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Allergy immunotherapy and lupus flares
grandwillowgal posted:
Has anyone had experience with allergy immunotherapy injections acting as a trigger for lupus flares? I was just diagnosed with lupus although I have had symptoms at least 2 years. I am finding that the allergy shots are a triggering event with increase in symptoms 24 to 26 hours after injection. My doctor didn't think it's connected, but I am stopping the allergy immunotherapy.

I had an injection 2 days ago, and 24 hours later increased pain/ swelling of fingers, increased rib pain, fatigue and brain fog.

renalupie1 responded:
I had allergy shots years ago, long before I was diagnosed. But while we were trying to figure me out, my doc and I both noticed the lupus symptoms appeared increased during my worst allergy seasons.... I definately think it is worth investigating!

David Zelman, MD responded:
It is certainly theoretically possible that these types of injections could flare lupus but probably does not occur in all patients. One would have to weight the benefits of the treatment vs the risks and side effects. In your case that answer is obvious.
david Zelman MD

llama33 responded:
I have had lupus for years and recently went to an allergist for the first time. When I was telling the allergist about my history with lupus she looked at me and said "remember what i'm telling you, never ever get an allergy shot, it will cause your lupus to flair".
So I'd say be careful, it's not worth it, just take allergy pills instead.

grandwillowgal responded:
Thanks for the feedback. I am finished with allergy shots. I would much rather live with allergy symptoms than trigger a lupus flare.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.