Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe foot and ankle joint pain
MIBeth posted:
I'm currently taking plaquenil and tramadol, but am having so much pain in my feet, ankles, knees and wrists. I've tried heat, ice, massage, motrin, etc. and nothing seems to help. Does someone have a secret remedy to deal with this pain?

K2isKsquared responded:
Prednisone (steriod) can help with arthritis pain. I also took Methotrexate which was amazing in getting my arthritis under control.

K2

redwingfan2010 responded:
Are you on Plaquenil? The combination of Plaquenil and Quinacrine (another antimalarial) have really improved my joint pain... most days, I can carry on a normal life without the need of anything for pain.

I don't do well with steroids, but they do help... at least while you're on them. Maybe a good anti-inflammatory, if you're not already on one. (Your doc can write you a Rx for a stronger anti-inflam than Motrin).

Good luck, and feel better!

MIBeth replied to redwingfan2010's response:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I was taking methotrexate and prednisone before and tapered myself off. I was trying not to have to take any more meds but I think I'm going into a flare and won't have a choice. Woke up today with breastbone pain (costo). Every time I get a flare I get pericarditis. So....off the the rheumatologist.

jessi19661 responded:
A nice soak in the tub helps the pain tremendously, also warms you up and promotes circulation, which we need to carry the inflammation away in our bloodstream. And muscle or arthritis creams, you can get at dollar store.....they DO help and only a dollar. You can also get epsom salts for a dollar to put in your bath, it helps bloating and muscle aches too!! I will be getting into my bath soon!!
Hugs, jessi

pugpuppy responded:
I have found that Black cherry Extract is good for the joints. i also go once in a while and get Acupuncture, it works wonders you can walk in full of pain and walk out feeling like normal again. This for me works wonders and last about 2 months I am not in as much pain. I have not been able to get it done in a while, but need to do it again soon.

I also use a wax dip that I got at walmart on line for 25 bucks, they use it for manicures in salons. I use it everyday on my hands. It feels so good!!!!!!!

I hope you are able to get the acupunctur its unreal good!!!!!

hugs.
pugpuppy
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward. Victor Kiam

MIBeth responded:
Thank you all for your kind words. New to the site and wasn't sure how this works. So far, it's wonderful. There aren't too many in my community that have Lupus, (that I know of), so asking questions seems impossible. My flares are coming closer together and don't have "good times" very often. I had a lobe of my left lung removed removed a few months ago due to chronic infection/scarring so infections scare the crap out of me. Hope we can become good "lupus" buddies.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
89 of 119 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.