Skip to content
Very swollen, hard, red and painful calves, ankles & feet
dazzmarkwell posted:
My friend has Lupus and I know nothing about this condition. She is in so much pain she is in tears. Her calf's, ankles & feet are so swollen that they are hard as a rock with red rash that looks like blood under the surface of the skin and is in a lot of pain. she is unemployed and has not money or insurance therefore you can not see a doctor. Is this a normal thing with Lupus? And what can I do for her or get to help relieve her from the pain and swelling? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE!

Thank You
Dazz

redwingfan2010 responded:
Hi Dazz. Sounds like your friend is lucky to have you. Has she applied for state insurance or disability or anything? Seems like there should be some resources out there for her, especially insurance-wise.

Unfortunately, offering your support and helping her out with whatever you can (chores, grocery shopping, or whatever she needs done that she can't physically do right now) is all you can do for her. She needs to see a doctor. Or go to the ER.

Do you think she would qualify for state insurance (like Medicaid)? My son's friend had no insurance and went to the ER for stomach issues (pain, vomiting, etc...) and he had some kind of bacteria that he needed IV antibiotics for. They had the social worker see him, right there in the ER, and she got an application for Medicaid going and it was approved. They covered his entire 4 day stay.

Another one of his friends went to the ER with no insurance, and they had a program where they only charged him $100, and this "fund" covered the rest of it.

If you could help her check into options in your area, that would be the best help you could give her. She needs to see a doctor, sooner rather than later.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.