Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My never simple life...
lisaisweavebee posted:
So, I go back to the ENT this past Tuesday to get the results of my CAT scan on my neck/head to find the reason for the lump in the floor of my mouth (I was thinking salivary stone). The CT scan showed no stone but slightly enlarged submandibular glands on the right (where I have the lump). So, I'm thinking "Yay..just a infection!!..."

However, the CAT scan showed what the radiologist thought was a mucocele in the right maxillary sinus that eroded away my bone. The ENT was concerned because it had totally eroded through the lateral posterior wall of the sinus. So, he sent me to a oral surgeon to rule out anything dental causing the problem.

I saw the oral surgeon yesterday who took several panoramic views of my teeth that were inconclusive of bone loss but did show that almost all my teeth had cavaties in them AGAIN (thank you Sjogrens!!!). He seemed very concerned and kept saying that it was not dental related.... that it was "something else" but wouldn't elaborate on what the "something else" was when I questioned him. He would just answer with why it was not dental related but not answer what it could be related to...very frustrating!

He told me I needed to return to the ENT. So I left, but then when I was driving home his office called my cell phone and said he wanted to see me again this morning.

I go back this morning where he examines me again and then tells me he is sure it is not dental related but wouldn't eleborate on what he thought it was. Only that he would talk to my ENT and someone would call me next week.

Nothing is ever simple in a autoimmune life, is it? I remember when I use to get sick or have a problem and just a regular visit to the family doctor would answer my questions, take a pill and get well....

those days are long gone,

Lisa

pugpuppy responded:
I am so sorry, maybe they will have an awnser now that you went to the dentist and ruled that out. well it is good it isn't in the bone,

I know that it is hard to be patient with autoimmune life for sure, go to this Dr. then that one and then another. I am dealing with that now but I am just being patient.....what ealse is there to do rite.

I really hope they will be able to give you an awnser on this next trip to the ENT.
Good luck and keep us posted ok.
Love, light and hugs,
Pug
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward. Victor Kiam

Lupylisa44 responded:
Next week???? NO... (Insert swear word here)...way!!! I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you! Why were they so cryptic? Don't you just hate it when doctors, or, anyone else for that matter, won't give you a straight answer? It's like a never ending rollercoaster ride, isn't it?

Hang in there Lis! I will be keeping good thoughts for you!

((((hugs))))

lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Ugh!! So sorry to hear you're getting the run around, Lisa! I wish there was a pill that could still take away all your pains. :(

I hope you have a better outcome (and not so vague) next time. Hang in there!

lisaisweavebee replied to pugpuppy's response:
Thanks Pug,

It is hard to be patient when it's just test after test with no concrete outcome, but I am trying.

Hope you have a restful evening!

Lisa

lisaisweavebee replied to Lupylisa44's response:
Hey Lisa,

Believe me, I've said my fair share of swear words under my breath this morning!

Doctors use the "vague answers" when they are unsure of the problem, but are afraid that it will not be good (i.e. cancer) and don't want to alarm the patient unnecessarily before they can rule it out. And I guess with some patients that would be a good thing but I prefer my doctors to be direct. I'm not a idiot (at least I hope not...would a idiot know if they were a idiot??? ) and prefer my doctors to tell me what they are thinking.

Thanks for the good thoughts and hugs! I appreciate them!

Lisa

lisaisweavebee replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Andie,

Thanks for kind words. Some days are just harder than others...guess that's just the way life is. I don't feel that they are giving me the run around, I'm more frustrated that a easy answer never seems to happen to me. One problem just seems to lead to another and another ad infin.

Hopefully I will get some answers next week!

Lisa

jessi19661 responded:
I hate that!! I would just demand he tell you.

Say, "is it cancer?" THAT always elicts and answer.

Say, "am I going to need surgery"

Those extreme questions usually necessitate them answering to calm you down

Also you could say, I came here to get your FULL opinion, please give it to me, I dont wish to wait a WEEK and get it from the other doctor....please :)

lisaisweavebee replied to jessi19661's response:
Hey Jessi,

I did ask if it could be cancer and his answer was "let me talk with the ENT and discuss some things with him and decide where to go from there"....I asked specifically if he would be treating the problem and his answer was the same reply....I asked what my next step should be and if surgery was in the picture...reply was the same. He would only expand on why this had nothing to do with my teeth.

Oh well, just another hurry up and wait situation. I ought to be use to this by now.

Thanks for your input!

Lisa

jessi19661 replied to lisaisweavebee's response:
I am so sorry, Lisa!! It has been awful rough for u lately!!

I bet you are sp frustrated and worried!!! I guess he really does not know and needs to consult with the other guy. But still........why is it not important enough to call him sooner and thus help you sooner?????????? A lot of docs used to do that--not so much anymore it seems.

All I can do is PRAY for you and the wait!! And I am here for you anytime, please call on me. I am stupid, but I have ears!!

Love to you, jessi

pugpuppy replied to jessi19661's response:
Lisa I hope that you are able to get some awnsers early this week. My prayers are with.
Love and light.
Pug
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward. Victor Kiam

lisaisweavebee replied to jessi19661's response:
Thanks Jessi!!

It's nice knowing someone is out there to listen!

Lisa

lisaisweavebee replied to pugpuppy's response:
Thanks Pug - I appreciate the thoughts and prayers!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.