Skip to content
Wigs, Hats, and Makeup -- Dressing Up Lupus
Christine Miserandino posted:
We all want to look our best, even when we might not be feeling well. I think it's a universal desire, not just for people who live with lupus. When you add lupus to the appearance mix, it gets harder to look your best. I have days when I look in the mirror and I can't believe the girl looking back is me.

People living with lupus have to deal with many things that affect our looks, including weight gain from steroids, or weight loss from other treatments. Hair loss, moon face, and sometimes a pale complexion from having to avoid the sun are some of the appearance issues for people with lupus. I bruise easily, and I always have dark circles under my eyes from not sleeping. Of course, I can't forget the lupus butterfly rash than can appear across the face. These are just a few lupus symptoms and treatment side effects that affect our looks.

During my life with lupus, I've lost all my hair twice. I know how devastating it can be. To feel better and to try to look my best, I've worn hats, wigs, hair extensions and different haircuts. I've also gotten much better at putting on makeup to cover dark circles, rash or a pale facial complexion. I've found that practice makes perfect when it comes to hair and make-up techniques. A fun idea is to invite your friends over for a "girlie make-up party" to share tips and to get advice.

What are some ways you've learned to camouflage the appearance effects of lupus, to help make you feel and look fabulous?
- Christine Miserandino

lupylisa44 responded:
Having lupus has made me quite the makeup artiste! I also had stevens johnsons which left big red blotches on my face for about 3 years. I have found that Bare Minerals from Bare Escentuals is THE BEST makeup for covering facial redness and blemishes. It may seem expensive but it will last forever!!!

I prefer to use a liquid concealer under my eyes since the powdery minerals tend to enhance the wrinkles around the eyes. Also, using a highlighter with light reflecting particles under your eyes may help make dark circles disappear. My favorite mascara of all time is Voluminous waterproof from L'oreal in blackish brown. It doesn't flake off or run, even when swimming.

When taking my make-up off at night, I go old school. My great grandmother, my grandmother and my mother all used Ponds cold cream and so do I. It works very well at removing make up without drying out your face.

When I started losing my hair back in 1999, I decided to just shave it off. Luckily it didn't look that bad. I was bald and proud!!! I used it as a tool to spread awareness about lupus. I did get bandanas in every color and wore some funky hats too!

Another tip which should go without saying is use Sunscreen!!! Bare minerals has sunscreen built into it naturally, but I prefer to get some extra protection by using a moisturizer with sunscreen in it!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

thedarlingdeb responded:
I have always been a "girly girl". I love makeup, hair and fashion When I started to become ill I began the struggle of keeping up my love for all things girlie. I slowly learned to do things differently like give myself more time before events or dates with my husband. I learned to sit while putting on my makeup and doing my hair. And I taught my husband how to dry my hair when I have a particularly bad day.
As far as makeup tips, I find concealor very helpful to cover my dark circles and red rashes. I love Laura Mercier secret camoflage because in each compact it comes with 2 shades to mix and find the right color. I put more concentration on eye makeup, shadow, liner and mascara to give me more of perky look. And for blush a pink color always perks up my pale skin. I'm not a fan of bronzer although it works for some. I also watch alot of you tube videos on makeup application to pick up tips.
When it comes to my hair. It's not as full and shiny as it used to be. I wash my hair every other day to help with the thining and I have found a new love-Hair shine spray.
It's all about experimenting with prouducts and ways of applying them.
I may have lupus but, I'm never going to stop being a girly girl!

Christine Miserandino replied to thedarlingdeb's response:
Hey Deb!

I LOVE your spirit! I actually never thought of looking at make up tip videos on youtube. What a great idea that anyone can do from the comfort of their own home, and best of all it is free!

I totally agree about experimenting with new and different products. That's why i love sample sizes so much- because you can try something out without having to spend the money, or have huge sizes of things lying around that you may not use!

Great tips girls! Keep them coming!

Love and Spoons ,
Christine

CourtneyBridwell replied to Christine Miserandino's response:
Here are my top 3 beauty must haves for looking cute AND saving spoons (yes, at the same time!); how did I ever manage without?! I'll follow-up with tips in another post.
1) Dry Shampoo: These are just as much a staple in my home as toilet paper or medicine! Just for starters, it's fantastic for extending time between washing, creating volume & refreshing hair, help diminish look of thinning hair, & extend life of salon highlights. You can find them in a clear spray, or for your specific hair color, & they can range in price from $7-$35 . The higher-end brands seem to have color selection, but ask for tester or buy sample size first. My current favorite is Bumble & Bumble!
2) Sally Hansen "Airbrush" Leg Spray: Tan in a can! Miracle in minutes. Covers bruises, rashes, veins...you name it! This product does what it claims & so much more. After many attempts & messes, I've come up with several application tips (to follow!).
3) Tinted eyelashes: I can leave the house with minimal make-up (or none running daytime errands!) & minimal worries! For $35, Aveda uses a plant extract to tint lashes that last up to 6 weeks.
I love this post & think it's a wonderful way to help boost one another's esteem! Sweet dreams & hoping we all wake with a few extra spoons!
XOXO,
Courtney

shannielee74 responded:
I've never been a huge make-up person. I like wash and go hair. I'm fairly minimalist. Recently I had someone ask me about the butterfly rash on my face and I said, "oh, I have lupus and it is just one of the many symptoms." They looked shocked but curious at the same time. I find it a great way to educate people about lupus. Most people know it as a disease that kills you. They don't realize that you can live a long time.
When it comes to family pictures I do put on some make-up. But if the rash is in full swing I no longer stress about it.
I do obsess about my hair. For years I had extremely thick, natural curly hair. Now it is half as thick and the curl is only somewhat there. I recently cut it short to give myself a boost as it is harder to see the thin areas with the haircut I have.
Oh the one thing I do religiously is apply 100 spf sunscreen 3 times a day. That may seem extreme, but sunscreen should be reapplied throughout the day. I use Nutragena brand sunscreen that is for the face in particular. It moisturizes as well and since I live in a desert climate I need all the moisture I can get.
Shannielee74
~~~Life is what happens when your busy making other plans...John Lennon~~~

Christine Miserandino replied to shannielee74's response:
Thanks girls for adding to this thread! It is so important for us all to share ideas and support because we all haven't tried everything! For example, I always wanted to try dry shampoo, but never got the chance. And Shannielee, don't get me wrong, I love to wear make up and wigs, hats or whatever I need to feel good or look good, But I am writing this post right now in pajamas, no make up and my hair in a ponytail! The best part is for us all to do what makes us feel comfortable. I love message boards like this because we can get tips and ideas that we might not have thought of before. I know I am so bad about reapplying sunscreen throughout the day. I feel like I start off the day good, but then I get so busy, or so tired that I forget. I need to get better with that.

These are all great tips!

Love and Spoons ,
Christine

knxgrl responded:
Hair loss was one of the first symptoms I noticed. This time last year I had long incredibly thick hair filled with natural ringlets. Now my hair is stringy and flat, dry, dull and I don't even look like me. A few months ago my mom gave me a bottle of her WEN because she didn't like the smell. It made a huge difference in my hair loss!! I switched back to my regular brand between shipments of Wen and it started falling out again! It's pretty expensive but SO worth at least trying!

zuleika3590 responded:
When I first started taking the steroids my hair started falling out as well. I was trying to grow it out after having it short for a few years, so to start loosing it again was really demoralizing. My hair is naturally super thick and curly, but it became really thin and lost it's body. So like one of the other ladies on this forum mentioned, I shaved it off! It was totally liberating, but a bit cold, as here in the UK winter lasts for about 6 months. I found that shaving it really helped get the thickness back and now I am growing it out again.

As for makeup, I really recommend hourglass concealer for stubborn under eye circles. I am naturally fair skinned with freckles anyway so the paleness I was used to. As someone with fair skin I can say that blush is your best friend, and Maybelline do some really lovely cream blushes that wont dry out the skin. Also I found that my lashes and brows became thinner as my hair thinned, and I think that just spending a few more minutes a day filling in your brows with a shade that either matches your hair colour or is one shade lighter, can be helpful in adding structure back to the "moon-face". Particularly if you have to shave your head! Mac products are really fab for this and come in a range of colours which don't have too much of an orange undertone which I have found to be the problem with a lot of other brands. Finally for the rash I got I used a face mask and gentle exfoliant twice a week from a brand we have here in the UK called Neal's Yard which uses mostly organic products with a few less chemicals than the normal drug store brands (I hope!)

I hope this is helpful to someone, it's my first time posting on any kind of forum like this. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
93 of 123 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.