Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lupus of the scalp
keishacherry posted:
I am a 33 year old woman and i was just diagnosed with lupus of the scalp. i took the blood test after the biopsy and the told me that it was negative. Then a few weeks later i recieved a letter in the mail stating that the ana test came back positive. So i guess what i'm asking is can i have two types of lupus at one time.

Lupylisa44 responded:

Hi and Welcome!

When you say "lupus of the scalp," I assume you are talking about Discoid lupus. I believe the ANA blood test would come back positive for both DL ( discoid lupus) and SLE (systemic lupus erythematosis) so it would be difficult to differentiate which would be causing the positive result.

I think you need to talk to your doctor to find out what exactly is going on.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

David Zelman, MD responded:
It is not 2 types of lupus. Lupus can be confined to the skin or it can be systemic ( SLE) with involvement of multiple organs beside the skin ( kidneys, lungs , blood , nervous system). The ANA test can be positive in either but generally needed if SLE is to be diagnosed. The skin form is mainly diagnosed on biopsy and appearance and the ANA would clinch the diagnosis. Hydroxychloroquine isoften used to treat the skin disease
David Zelman MD

keishacherry replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Thank you for responding. I understand what you are saying as of right now i am using Desoximetasone twice a day on the spots located on the scalp. The pathologic Diagnosis is c/w Lupus Erythematosus. so if you can can you break that down to me. Thanks again Keisha Cherry

keishacherry replied to Lupylisa44's response:
Thank you for responding. I will get on that

winelover24018 replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Does the Lupus on the scalp cause the hair loss? I am starting to have hair loss and not sure if it is from the Lupus or the increase in my Methotrexare?

DontWorryBHappy replied to winelover24018's response:
i have discoid lupus on my scalp, which causes scarring hair loss :( which of course means it will NOT grow back. a biopsy was needed to determine this for sure.

DontWorryBHappy responded:
my ANA came back positive, but with further testing and analysis of my symptoms was concluded i only have discoid lupus of the scalp. i am 25 years old. keep in touch, please

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.