Skip to content
I have lupus and epstein barr virus
gringa1 posted:
As I stated I have lupus and Epsein barr virus, my question is should I be concerned with epstein barr virus, I had asked my doctor (rehumatoloigist) and she said not to worry. The info that I read talks about mono,can one have epstein barr without having mono??. Does anyone have better info for me.

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi,

Even though I don't have a answer for you (sorry!), I wanted to say "Welcome". Hopefully, Dr. Z or maybe another lupie will have some information about the Epstein Barr virus. Usually someone around here will have a answer so please be patient.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!!

Lisa

allie_bf responded:
It's possible, quite likely even, that you've had mono, but just didn't realize it. With lupus, you get used to feeling "wiped out," and uncomplicated mono is pretty much just like a cold/flu with an exaggerated feeling of fatigue. Mono also carries a risk of having an enlarged spleen, with the associated risk of splenic rupture, but unless you knew to look for it, you'd never know that you had that problem. Although there are a lot of different theories linking EBV to other conditions (e.g. chronic fatigue syndrome,) the research supporting those isn't conclusive. Your major focus should be on managing your lupus well, not so much on worrying about EBV.

gringa1 replied to allie_bf's response:
I donate blood, now I'm thinking I shouldn't, a friend ask if I was contagious, told her no, thats what my M.D. said.... is that correct. So, from reading your post you said "had mono", so should I get rechecked for that??
So confused with all this crap :(
Your reply was informative, thank you.

gringa1 replied to lisaisweavebee's response:
haha, thank you.

Lupylisa44 replied to gringa1's response:
I don't think you should donate blood if you have EBV.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

allie_bf replied to gringa1's response:
You can ask the medical staff at your blood banking site, but I don't think that EBV is an automatic exclusion (if it were, there would be much less supply since so many people have had mono in the past.) Unless you are currently having mono symptoms it's probably not worth going back to get the mono spot test. Your active case may have been as far back as your teenage years. Certainly beyond a few months, some sources quote a year, it's unlikely that you could spread mono to someone else.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
93 of 123 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.